Rusting BB Shell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Now that the paint has come off it will get a lot worse. It will continue to corrode and eventually turn into a pile of dust.

It rusted because water was trapped under the paint.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think that would work fossy. I could bet that rust and corrosion is pretty much under most of the frame. If you started stripping it you'd never stop, then there's the corrosion, the metal underneath is very pitted, you'd never get a smooth finish. The OP could try I doubt it'd be worth the effort.

GuyBoden

Guru
30725152.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
In order to feel comfortable I'd need to completely strip the frame of paint and rust to assess the integrity and vulnerability.

The amount of effort required wouldn't be worth it to my mind. I'd scrap it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I can't imagine how it became that rusted. Maybe they brought the frame from cold outside storage into a warm environment and then spayed it. Caused by condensation on the bare metal?

OP
OP
Harril

Harril

I can't imagine how it became that rusted. Maybe they brought the frame from cold outside storage into a warm environment and then spayed it. Caused by condensation on the bare metal?

It is baffling. I can only conclude utter neglect from its previous owners. I find it difficult to imagine the chap I bought from wasn't aware of the severity here.

OP
OP
Harril

Harril

Thank you all for the helpful advice and opinions. Considering the hassle and expense of having it sandblasted and then repainted, I think it would probably be prudent to reluctantly scrap the frame. I wish I'd have paid more attention prior to purchase!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thank you all for the helpful advice and opinions. Considering the hassle and expense of having it sandblasted and then repainted, I think it would probably be prudent to reluctantly scrap the frame. I wish I'd have paid more attention prior to purchase!

If you were more local i would offer to have that off you and get it sorted as i doubt it's much more than surface deep

Top Bottom