rusty 531 frame - problem #1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Same, available in English thread. Also Italian, I believe. Probably depends on year of manufacture. In the US, in the seventies, I believe we were still getting French threading, but later we got Peugeots in English thread. I think a headset and bearing cups may be useful, but they may look okay after some naval jelly is applied. Depends on the condition on the inside. Beautiful bicycle, from what I see. Worth the trouble.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't waste your time with penetrating oil, it can't penetrate where rust has formed a bond.

Here's how to free the bolt from the nut: support it very solidly indeed and using a hex key, whack the bolt very hard indeed straight down its centre with a big hammer. The blow will shock the threads free and the bolt will turn in the nut, which is when you need to add penetrating oil to help it move.

Doing it from the nut side might loosen the nut in the crown as well as breaking the bond with the bolt.

If the bolt turns but the nut remains stuck in the crown, it should be fairly easy to drive it out backwards once the brake is removed.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This one was outrun by a three year old on a tricycle. He has better Strava scores than I do, I think.

02GF74

Über Member
doubt you can get enough grip with mole grips - most likley you need to drill te head of and buy replacemet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
doubt you can get enough grip with mole grips - most likley you need to drill te head of and buy replacemet.
Do not drill the head off, the allen key fastening is hollow (sleeve nut) you could drill the caliper bolt out of the centre of the fixing as a last resort but that will kipper the brake. Plus gas then a belt or 2 possibly to drive in a torx or an Imperial allen key that slightly larger than the metric one if it has been rounded out.
A good tip for anyone is NEVER EVER use a cheap or worn Allen key EVER, or one of those T handled monstrosities made in China (out of cheese).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Cheap tools are way too expensive. Better to buy the good and have it, rather than buy the cheap and replace it. And these challenging projects will make you into a first class fetteller.

OP
OP
J

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Nice one John those should just come out with plusgas and a " tap" or 2. :biggrin:

which one do you reckon..?
220px-Sledgehammers-1.jpg

Top Bottom