rusty chain, does it need a new one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have an old but never really used MTB in my lock-up that I may get going for my stepdaughter during lock down. Chain last time I looked was rusted solid. Should I just pony up a few quid for a new one (6 or 7 speed at a guess) or is it worth soaking in oil etc to revamp?

Just off to look at it. Raleigh Tundra if I recall

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nah not worth it, just slap a new chain on.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You'll have the usual issues if the chain is worn and you replace it. I have revived rusty chains. Plus Gas and a wire brush as well as frequent cleaning and relubing usually does it.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
You'll have the usual issues if the chain is worn and you replace it. I have revived rusty chains. Plus Gas and a wire brush as well as frequent cleaning and relubing usually does it.
definitely not worn! I suspect the bike has done under 50 miles. Might have spent a year or two outdoors. Off now to inspect and see what is needed

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Being tight I'd be inclined to soak it in some oil or Diesel for a few days then give it a wiggle to free it up, wipe off the excess and sling it on the bike to see how it does..

EDIT: All that said, getting it off would probably be a pain since I doubt it has a quicklink. Maybe worth soaking it in situ for a while then trying to turn the pedals? Tbh as much as I like saving stuff it does sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth for the sake of a new chain..

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Wash with soapy water and stiff brush to remove dirt and excess rust. Allow to dry and wipe over with WD40.

Apply wet lube. Run chain round the drive train. Check for any stiff links and wriggle these side to side to work oil in. Ride.

Buy a beer or two with the saved tenner.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
definitely not worn! I suspect the bike has done under 50 miles. Might have spent a year or two outdoors. Off now to inspect and see what is needed
That being the case I wouldn't bother faffing about personally. Easier to just stick a new chain on rather than trying to rejuvenate one that's been sat out in the weather for a long time. It might be worth fitting new cables too as they won't work well if water has got in.

Gunk

Guru
Wash with soapy water and stiff brush to remove dirt and excess rust. Allow to dry and wipe over with WD40.

Apply wet lube. Run chain round the drive train. Check for any stiff links and wriggle these side to side to work oil in. Ride.

Buy a beer or two with the saved tenner.

As long as the links are not seized, I have used this method quite a few times on some of the bikes we buy and sell, especially where the profit margin is very tight, I’ve also soaked them overnight in white spirit (if I can get them off the bike)

It as others have said if it’s a basic 5/6/7 speed bike a new chain with a quick link is under a tenner.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If the chain is that farked its not worth it , get one that joins with a quick link but you will still need a chain tool to get the length right as they come long on purpose .
I measure mine against the old chain taking into account chain stretch as i know mine are ok but if unsure ..

Globalti

Legendary Member
On a bike like that I definitely wouldn't waste money on a new chain. Revive it with light oil and give it to the girl to ride. She will neglect it anyway.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Depends if you've got anything more important to do right now- always nice to spend half an hour getting something working again for nothing!

...and it's not wasted if your step daughter gets into cycling on it and then if she wants to go faster and further then you could spend a bit more on it later.

Top Bottom