Rutland Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
they are doing what is known as Drop Shipping .... Many sellers on ebay use drop shippers. They don't stock the item, and once you place your order, they forward the monies (minus their commision), to the drop shipper, and the drop shipper posts directly to you. You dont need to pay for a whare house and staff, and you dont need to spend any money to buy the products. Some guys are making very good money this way

Here's a link:
https://www.shopify.co.uk/guides/dropshipping/understanding-dropshipping
Yes, that was my impression with them too, at least with some items - took quite a long time for our bike carrier to arrive, IIRC.

They seem to blow hot and cold in my local branch.

I ordered a jacket, it took the best part of 3 weeks to arrive as they couldn't find the original order, I had to chase it..........and then it was the wrong size !!

I booked in for a bike fit 6 weeks in advance. The day before I was due in, I got a call stating that they hadn't seen the entry in the diary and could I rebook it for another date as they had minimal staff in on that particular day. So I cancelled, however, I did pop in to see what the staffing was and there must have been 5 of them just standing about doing nothing, it was a Wednesday !!

On the plus side, I have popped in and asked them to torque a cassette on a wheel and they have done it straight away, with no fuss and no cost to me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Hmmm. I ordered a pair of wheels from them last week so this thread doesn't fill me with joy.

It was the only place I could find the exact combination I was looking for and the price was very good. They're not due until the middle of next week so I really shouldn't be assuming trouble yet. At least this thread gives a lot of pointers for what I can say to them if it seems to be going wrong. I will let you all know.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Hmmm. I ordered a pair of wheels from them last week so this thread doesn't fill me with joy.

It was the only place I could find the exact combination I was looking for and the price was very good. They're not due until the middle of next week so I really shouldn't be assuming trouble yet. At least this thread gives a lot of pointers for what I can say to them if it seems to be going wrong. I will let you all know.
I wouldn't fret yet, this was my 4th order with them, they made honest mistake and rectified immediately, all other orders have been fine.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I ordered a bike and a few bits off them a few weeks ago. I ordered on a Friday night and the website quoted an expected delivery date of the following Tuesday. I hadn't heard anything by Monday night so I phoned them up on Tuesday morning and asked what was happening. I think a lock or something was out of stock so they hadn't dispatched anything. They split the order up, sent the bike out that day and the accessories a week later. I can't really complain about anything, the bike was delivered using a company called Panther and I was away at the time and having it delivered to family. They were pretty good with communication giving me rough times etc.

GOAB

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm glad to report that my wheels arrived today, a bit late but that's unimportant. I received notification of dispatch before the expiry of the "estimated" delivery slot, so no need for any chasing.

In view of what's been said here, and the slowness of the dispatch, I am suspicious that "in stock" may mean something other than sitting in one of their own warehouses, but they produced the goods as described in reasonable time and at a better price than anywhere else I found, so I see nothing not to like.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Had an issue with a shifter on the bike I ordered from them 6 weeks or so ago. Went to the LBS to sort it out and it cost me a tenner. I emailed Rutland asking for reimbursement as the mechanic said the fault was due to incorrect assembly. They responded in less than 24h and added £15 to my account as a gesture of goodwill. I checked the account and £30 had been deposited. New lock and pump were purchased pretty much immediately.

GOAB

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
they are doing what is known as Drop Shipping .... Many sellers on ebay use drop shippers. They don't stock the item, and once you place your order, they forward the monies (minus their commision), to the drop shipper, and the drop shipper posts directly to you. You dont need to pay for a whare house and staff, and you dont need to spend any money to buy the products. Some guys are making very good money this way

Here's a link:
https://www.shopify.co.uk/guides/dropshipping/understanding-dropshipping
You're right in your description of what drop shipment is, but wrong in saying this is the case here, as the shipment isn't going directly to the consumer. "They replied to say it's only just arrived with them this afternoon. So they don't have it in stock, they order it in, then send it on to me."

e-rider

crappy member
The last few orders from me have needed chasing up after 2 weeks despite them saying next day dispatch. They have had a big clothing sale on recently so that may account for tardiness. However, I ordered a Frog bike a few weeks ago for my youngest, with the website claiming delivery within 2 days. I contacted them after 2 weeks and got a 'we will look into it' reply, so I made them promise to call me back. I am still waiting, despite getting the bike a few days ago. I won't bother to contact them about the out of true wheel that rubs in the brakes, I will fix that myself.
I ordered an Islabike that arrived with a buckled wheel. I wrote to Islabikes to say that I wasn't that pleased that the bike had arrived with a buckled wheel, and gears/brakes not adjusted properly but not to worry as I'd sorted it myself. They replied by saying I had invalidated my warranty by working on the bike myself, and I should have returned it to them! WTF! I will never buy another islabike despite it being a good bike - they are also overpriced.

Top Bottom