England : Rutland Rutland Ride Mon 4th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Afraid to say I've decided that I probably won't be joining you tomorrow after all- like I mentioned earlier, it's been a long week, and it's looking like it will be a busy week this week as well (bank holiday? what's that?!), so I've decided to have a rest tomorrow. Have a good ride!

Ian

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm setting two alarms for 05:30 to make sure that I wake up ...
Usual story ... I worry about oversleeping and keep waking up to check the time. I finally gave up at 05:25 and got up!

I don't like having to force food down at this time of the night morning - it just isn't civilised! I'm having to creep around to avoid waking the family up.

I'm going to chance wearing my baggy shorts and hope that I don't feel too cold, but will start with Ron Hillls over the top just in case.

See you soon! :hello:

Afraid to say I've decided that I probably won't be joining you tomorrow after all- like I mentioned earlier, it's been a long week, and it's looking like it will be a busy week this week as well (bank holiday? what's that?!), so I've decided to have a rest tomorrow. Have a good ride!

Ian
Oh well - Have a good rest Ian, and catch you another time!

Thank you everyone for making it such a lovely ride today, I thoroughly enjoyed it and you all. Special thanks to Steve for organising such a beautiful route and for Andrew for carrying my jacket! Thanks as well for all your patience with me and the downhills – hopefully the next time I see you all I will be a bit braver!! Hope you all made it home safe and sound and look forward to the next one ^_^

Thanks first of all to the weather gods who made this ride possible, yesterday was awful and tomorrow isn't looking great. Apart from a 10 minute shower we were very lucky. 12 of us did the ride, though for a while we thought it might only be 11 [Potsy you are going to have fun with this one]. Secondly thank you to those that came and particularly to some of you that made long journeys, I hope it was worth it. Here are a few pictures, will post a few more later:
With time to kill [while we waited for the twelfth disciple] a look around Oakham
L-R Orange,oldfatfool, cycleruk, johnny, dr_pink, janey, Batesey, Poacher, AngelDiva, User13710
2012jun4rutlandride001.jpg

3rd or 4th hill and still together!
2012jun4rutlandride002.jpg

and still smiling, though to be fair this was only 7 miles in
2012jun4rutlandride003.jpg

ok, so we were a little spread out
2012jun4rutlandride004.jpg

ColinJ and Angel-Diva making it easy to get photos
2012jun4rutlandride005.jpg

Girding loins before a quick little descent, not long after this janey beat her record speed, over 42mph
2012jun4rutlandride008.jpg

TMN who protested she couldn't do hills, dancing on the pedals up a steep hill
2012jun4rutlandride009.jpg

Another "little" hill in lovely sunshine
2012jun4rutlandride019.jpg

That will do for now, don't want to hog the thread, more later.

Just to add my thanks for a great route and ride, and special thanks to dr_pink for the tea and cake:hungry:

Nice to meet so many new faces as well, look forward to riding with you all again.

Janeyb

John and I add our thanks. Great day and delicious cake. Thank you again to both of you for organising and hospitality.

potsy

Rambler
Thanks first of all to the weather gods who made this ride possible, yesterday was awful and tomorrow isn't looking great. Apart from a 10 minute shower we were very lucky. 12 of us did the ride, though for a while we thought it might only be 11 [Potsy you are going to have fun with this one]. Secondly thank you to those that came and particularly to some of you that made long journeys, I hope it was worth it. Here are a few pictures, will post a few more later:
With time to kill [while we waited for the twelfth disciple] a look around Oakham
L-R Orange,oldfatfool, cycleruk, johnny, dr_pink, janey, Batesey, Poacher, AngelDiva, User13710
2012jun4rutlandride001.jpg

:unsure: I see an old fat fool, and a posh looking lady, but no sign of the other fat fool, so am guessing he was late (again) :biggrin:

dr_pink

:unsure: I see an old fat fool, and a posh looking lady, but no sign of the other fat fool, so am guessing he was late (again) :biggrin:
Bingo! missed his train... then the next train was late.. of course we had arranged the weather timing perfectly and the rain shower had been booked for when we were in the cafe but the delayed start changed that;)

Thanks all - lovely company! all that was missing was my hill climbing partner :sad:

potsy

Rambler
Bingo! missed his train... then the next train was late.. of course we had arranged the weather timing perfectly and the rain shower had been booked for when we were in the cafe but the delayed start changed that;)

Thanks all - lovely company! all that was missing was my hill climbing partner :sad:

Excellent, better late than never :thumbsup:

Oh, and if you mean me as your hill climbing partner you'd have had to go extremely slowly to stay with me, bike and myself are not on top form after Saturdays 'incident' :whistle:

ColinJ

Thanks tf and dr_p - I enjoyed that! I did like Rutland so if you organise a Rutland ride again about this time next year, I'll time my summer family visit to coincide with it again. Nice to see you both again, and oldfatfool, and it was great to meet 8 CycleChatters who were new faces to me.

Okay, yes - I kept everyone waiting almost 3/4 hour this time! :blush:

If I decide to take the scenic route from Coventry to Nuneaton, I really should remember to copy it from my PC to my GPS!

If I realise halfway round this scenic route that it isn't on my GPS, then perhaps I should immediately divert to the obvious, non-scenic route!

If for some reason I stick to the scenic route regardless, then I should trust my instincts/memory rather than asking a woman who clearly had an even worse grasp of the local road layout than me! She told me that I couldn't get to Nuneaton the way that I was going and directed me back to where I'd been 30 minutes before. I rode back there, followed her instructions and ... eventually ended up back at the same spot where I'd encountered her! I then went to Bedworth and rode in on the dual-carriageway that I'd been trying to avoid.

To cap it all - after the forum ride, I rode back by my intended route in reverse and discovered that I'd been within 2 miles of the turn that I'd been looking for when I gave up and went the other way! I would have caught my train if I'd stuck to my guns ... I would have only been 15 minutes late on the next train if some scrote hadn't nicked signal cables causing delays in the network.

88 miles in total today, most of them under sunny skies - super! :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks like another cracking ride, the one I did last year was excellent, sad I couldn't make it, the only day of the weekend we had nothing planned and we have the best weather, we are going to Weymouth tomorrow and the weather looks like its going to be atrocious, originally we would have been in Wales today but it got cancelled. Colin you should have asked me for a route to Nuneaton, I do Coventry/ Nuneaton and back every day, I work in Nuneaton.

ColinJ

Colin you should have asked me for a route to Nuneaton, I do Coventry/ Nuneaton and back every day, I work in Nuneaton.
I assumed that you took the direct route up the dual-carriageway from Bedworth, Dave!

I'd worked out a nice route via Corley but forgot to put it on my GPS. The twisty/turny nature of the road I took after Corley messed with my sense of direction and I thought I'd gone wrong.

D

Deleted member 1258

I assumed that you took the direct route up the dual-carriageway from Bedworth, Dave!

I'd worked out a nice route via Corley but forgot to put it on my GPS. The twisty/turny nature of the road I took after Corley messed with my sense of direction and I thought I'd gone wrong.

No I go out on Wheelright Lane through Ash Green and Bedworth then use the cycle path by the Griff island.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=351516

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
What great day! A big thank-you to all involved, but of course especially TotallyFixed for a beautiful - and quiet - route.
Again! Again!

ColinJ

I was wheezing a lot on the ride yesterday and I woke up this morning feeling very wheezy and my eyes were streaming. I reckon that I might be sensitive to the pollen we were exposed to riding past those fields of oil seed rape yesterday. I've never suffered from full-blown hay fever but have had this wheeziness at times in past summers.

Top Bottom