England : Rutland Rutland Ride Mon 4th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I was wheezing a lot on the ride yesterday and I woke up this morning feeling very wheezy and my eyes were streaming. I reckon that I might be sensitive to the pollen we were exposed to riding past those fields of oil seed rape yesterday. I've never suffered from full-blown hay fever but have had this wheeziness at times in past summers.
How are the hip and other old man injuries Colin?
Did the lower gearing help much?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How are the hip and other old man injuries Colin?
Did the lower gearing help much?
Oi - less of the 'old man' stuff, you young whipper-snapper. Angel-Diva was kind enough to say that she was gobsmacked to find out that I am an old guy of 56, and that she thought I was in my early 40s! I didn't entirely believe her, of course, but it still cheered me up! :smile: (I was about 51 when my avatar picture was taken and my remaining hair has a lot more grey in it now.)

As for the sore hip - I did have a few twinges, but I've become sensitive to the warning signs and immediately back off now when I feel them. I was feeling good yesterday (apart from bouts of wheezing) and started to speed up a couple of times, but then I realised that that was exactly what happened on the Jodrell Bank ride which killed my hip.

Wearing loose baggy shorts definitely helps keep the blood supply flowing.

I didn't really need the super-granny gear to climb the hills, but resorted to it a few times to take the strain off my dodgy leg and I think it is a good strategy.

I got very fed up after the pain I experienced on the SITD and Jodrell Bank rides so I'm pleased to be able to adapt and carry on riding!

Rutland is ideal cycling country for me - enough hills to make it interesting, but they are not absolute killers, and enough flat roads to be able to get a good spin going the rest of the time. 'Nicely undulating' is how I would describe it.

Yes, still can't believe you're 56 but I think not only do you look younger but are young in your personality (the child within is alive and kicking!) so I think that's why I was so surprised when you said you are 56!

Oi - less of the 'old man' stuff, you young whipper-snapper. Angel-Diva was kind enough to say that she was gobsmacked to find out that I am an old guy of 56, and that she thought I was in my early 40s! I didn't entirely believe her, of course, but it still cheered me up! :smile: (I was about 51 when my avatar picture was taken and my remaining hair has a lot more grey in it now.)

As for the sore hip - I did have a few twinges, but I've become sensitive to the warning signs and immediately back off now when I feel them. I was feeling good yesterday (apart from bouts of wheezing) and started to speed up a couple of times, but then I realised that that was exactly what happened on the Jodrell Bank ride which killed my hip.

Wearing loose baggy shorts definitely helps keep the blood supply flowing.

I didn't really need the super-granny gear to climb the hills, but resorted to it a few times to take the strain off my dodgy leg and I think it is a good strategy.

I got very fed up after the pain I experienced on the SITD and Jodrell Bank rides so I'm pleased to be able to adapt and carry on riding!

Rutland is ideal cycling country for me - enough hills to make it interesting, but they are not absolute killers, and enough flat roads to be able to get a good spin going the rest of the time. 'Nicely undulating' is how I would describe it.

potsy

Rambler
Yes, still can't believe you're 56 but I think not only do you look younger but are young in your personality (the child within is alive and kicking!) so I think that's why I was so surprised when you said you are 56!
Does short-sightedness run in the family AD? :whistle:

tbh, I've been surprised by the ages of some of the CC'ers on forum rides, nearly all have turned out to be older than they look, must be all that fresh air :biggrin:

I hope everyone eventually got home ok, TMN might not be there yet as leaving Rutland today, I went back out this morning into the hills on my beloved fixed, so much better! I really don't think that gears have a future, they will never catch on, too much faff.
For those that want to look at where we went on the map; Oakham, Knossington, Owston, towards Marefield, across the Tilton-on-the-Hill to Oakham Rd, Tugby, Hallaton, Horninghold [the posh village], Eyebrook Reservoir, Stoke Dry, Harringworth, Wakerley, cafe stop at Fineshades, retrace to Wakerley, Barrowden, South Luffenham, North Luffenham, Edith Weston, around the water to Whitewell for ice creams then back past Exton, Cottesmore, Ashwell and Oakham, 52 miles.
I wasn't aware that anyone was struggling, just some quicker than others as expected with forum rides of very much mixed abilities. I have been asked if I will do another one this summer so will have a look at dates.
Thank you all again for coming, dr_pink and I both agreed that we couldn't have had a better bunch to ride with, I will try and organise warmer weather next time. More pictures, and no Angel-Diva you weren't always at the back though your front wheel did seem to have a mind of it's own at times, an aversion to Batesey?
2012jun4rutlandride022.jpg

2012jun4rutlandride023.jpg

ColinJ going well
2012jun4rutlandride025.jpg

probably the steepest little hill on the ride [there goes that front wheel again!]
2012jun4rutlandride026.jpg

And again! [I think it must have been magnetised and kept pointing to the magnetic north pole ^_^]
2012jun4rutlandride027.jpg

Proof you were there
2012jun4rutlandride028.jpg

Poacher on the long climb through Stoke Dry
2012jun4rutlandride029.jpg

And Janey who got her record top speed just after this
2012jun4rutlandride030.jpg

Will post the last batch later.

potsy

Rambler
Some really good pics TF, were you the only one taking them?
Does AD end up doing an extra 2 miles to the rest of the group with all that weaving from side to side? ^_^

Some really good pics TF, were you the only one taking them?
Does AD end up doing an extra 2 miles to the rest of the group with all that weaving from side to side? ^_^
I did notice someone else fiddling around with one of those iphone thingies but otherwise I had to keep going ahead to get the shots, good training though.
AD's wheel is a source of mystery to me and I expect to her too :wacko:

Well I did feel all that extra weaving of mine did justify an extra cake :-)

quote="potsy, post: 1877771, member: 4694"]Some really good pics TF, were you the only one taking them?
Does AD end up doing an extra 2 miles to the rest of the group with all that weaving from side to side? ^_^[/quote]

dr_pink

Lol... yes my bike does seem to have a mind of it's own - looks like i'm heading towards the bushes in that photo!
The only reason you wiggle side to side is those handlebars - so much harder to climb on them. It won't be long before you're tempted to exchange them back for the original drops I bet!

I also hear that TF offered to take you out to train you on downhills... Janeyb has also signed up (now keen to beat her new record...!)

Top Bottom