England : Rutland Rutland Ride Mon 4th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Which train stations (from London and/or Luton) would you recommend as accessible to the start?
London King's Cross to Oakham via Peterborough looks the best bet to me. (Going via Birmingham is slower and costs a lot more.)
In June this really is a very pretty area, even mentioned by David Harmon on Eurosport this afternoon during the Amstel Gold cycle race this afternoon.
I just watched a recording of the race - my ears pricked up when I heard him say that!

The photos look great and I'm looking forward to the ride.

My size 11's at work again, humble apologies mistook you for the other one in London who organised The Lanes and Fens ride :blush:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey - you can get singles for £15.50 out and £11.00 return if you book in advance and pick the right times to travel. I was thinking it would be £80 return, or thereabouts! It is costing me £20 one-way to Coventry and I thought that was a bargain.

Stamford is closer at 10 miles from the start in Oakham.

Edit, I'm told the change at Peterborough is a simple one and the train to Oakham is the one to Stamford anyway, just costs £1 more I think and no problems carrying bikes.

Please can you clarify - where actually is the start? And which station (Oakham or Stamford) is closest to it? Part of the issue for us will be deciding whether to travel up from London (via Peterborough) or from Luton (via Leicester).... Thanks!

ETA: oh and what time will you be wanting to start?

The start is in Oakham, I haven't put a start time yet as it looks as though several people will be travelling to get here, I would like to aim for 10am or earlier, possibly 9.30. Those that confirm and are travelling the furthest will have the ultimate say as I don't want to let anyone down.

Put me on the list as a possible please - I'm looking into making a long weekend of it in the van. :smile:
Camping van or caravan? There are 5 sites that I know of within 7 miles of Oakham and they are all well situated, 3 of them next to Rutland Water. The largest is at Greetham and the other one not next to the water is at Wing which the YACF [Not Another Cycling Forum] were staying at this weekend.
If anyone else is staying over I would be happy to show them the Ospreys, an absolute must if coming to Rutland.

Top Bottom