S/S back to Fixed... do I, don't I...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
For the first time ever I'm slightly cursing being SS (never been fixed), for the simple reason that I've got a heavy chest cost and being SS doesn't give me the opportunity to take it easy.

I've got the remnants of a cold that has been with me for a fortnight tomorrow. Yesterday I was glad of the freewheel after a climb into a headwind - 177ft in 0.88mi. It would have destroyed me if I couldn't freewheel after reaching the top!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've got the remnants of a cold that has been with me for a fortnight tomorrow. Yesterday I was glad of the freewheel after a climb into a headwind - 177ft in 0.88mi. It would have destroyed me if I couldn't freewheel after reaching the top!

Ditto! I went out on my geared bike yesterday and it was bliss!

mangid

Guru
Oh well... I bottled it today.
I went out and the gusts were just too strong... so I turned back, and flipped to S/S for the first ride of the year. Fixed just feels too treacherous in the wind. :surrender:

I suspect it's just familiarity ?

I don't have any problems related to riding fixed in strong winds (40knot gusts last week), yep it's hard work, but I enjoy that :-) I'm not sure I get the stopping pedalling in a side wind, keeping the legs going seems to make it easier to cope with the sudden differences, you can more quickly get the bike back on track.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Ditto! I went out on my geared bike yesterday and it was bliss!

I haven't used shifters since August. But I'm looking forward to my first 100km Audax in Feb. I hope I remember how the gears work ;)

I suspect it's just familiarity ?

I don't have any problems related to riding fixed in strong winds (40knot gusts last week), yep it's hard work, but I enjoy that :-) I'm not sure I get the stopping pedalling in a side wind, keeping the legs going seems to make it easier to cope with the sudden differences, you can more quickly get the bike back on track.

That makes sense on paper... I will keep at it. I obviously freewheel too much - probably just laziness heh heh! :blush: ;)

rb58

Enigma
This sounds odd, I know, but I can't figure out why I love fixed so much. I just do. And I actually find it easy to 'freewheel' on fixed by letting momentum turn my legs, rather than the other way around. Sure, I keep an eye on my cadence so as not to overcook it, and I apply power (or brakes) if I feel in any way uncomfortable. My flip-flop hub has not been turned back to SS for months now, and it has to be a pretty hilly route for me to get a geared bike out. My 2013 n+1 will undoubtedly be another fixed.

hoski

Veteran
I haven't used shifters since August. But I'm looking forward to my first 100km Audax in Feb. I hope I remember how the gears work ;)

I'm reckoning on doing my first 100k audax (in March) fixed. That's mostly because I've only had a fixed wheel for the last 18 months so I don't have a huge amount of choice. I would say, go fixed and stay fixed but I can't actually remember what a freewheel is like, let alone multiple gears...

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
This sounds odd, I know, but I can't figure out why I love fixed so much. I just do. And I actually find it easy to 'freewheel' on fixed by letting momentum turn my legs, rather than the other way around. Sure, I keep an eye on my cadence so as not to overcook it, and I apply power (or brakes) if I feel in any way uncomfortable. My flip-flop hub has not been turned back to SS for months now, and it has to be a pretty hilly route for me to get a geared bike out. My 2013 n+1 will undoubtedly be another fixed.

Thanks, feeling very encouraged to keep at it. It's due a wipe after yesterday's ride so I think the wheel will be getting flipped.

I'm reckoning on doing my first 100k audax (in March) fixed. That's mostly because I've only had a fixed wheel for the last 18 months so I don't have a huge amount of choice. I would say, go fixed and stay fixed but I can't actually remember what a freewheel is like, let alone multiple gears...

I know the route of my first Audax (Tour of East Lothian), as I did the unofficial version of it last year. There was one chap on a fixed, which was impressive! The route includes a 17% and a couple of 14% climbs on it, at least. I think I'll take the gears. No way I'd get up the 17% Redstone Rigg on a fixed 48x18. I can just about manage 34x28!

have to say even after my recent purchase of a geared bike, I still prefer my fixed :tongue: Its the simplicity of it, it just works no fannying around making sure you are in the right gear, just peddle!

Have found the ease of cleaning is like night and day compared to the geared bikes. Really surprisingly so in fact. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

Last time I rode single speed was in the 1960's, I've been on fixed for commuting and all winter riding for over 5 years now, and its not my first time on fixed, I was on fixed in the late 1980's early 1990's, I prefer fixed, my geared bike only comes out for summer Sunday rides the rest of the time I'm on fixed.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Bit the bullet today and flipped the wheel back to the 16t fixed sprocket.
I really enjoyed it - 50km of mixed roads through town, out along the coast, and a bit of fast dual-carriageway with a tailwind. Yep, it was great. ^_^

Only caught myself out and stopped pedalling once, when a transit van which was parked on the inside of a 'roundabout' decided to pull out in to my path while I was going round the roundabout. No harm done though. (It's a bit of a weird roundabout to be fair. It's more of a rectangle and even has public toilets in the centre! Map link.)

All in all a good day and happy with the fixed feeling :thumbsup:

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Well almost three months have passed and I'm well and truly converted to fixed. :thumbsup:
I've clocked up just under 900km fixed after I switched from 48x18t freewheel to the 16t sprocket.

The epiphany for me was the realisation that I can 'freewheel'... or rather, just relax my legs. A case of programming my mind to switch off the legs at will, and let the flywheel carry them. Learning to do this at times when I would previously have tensed up, e.g. reacting to hazards, has almost become second nature.
Since I went fixed I've only once been caught out - swerving a pothole - and it was no more than a gentle reminder 'kick' from the pedals.

Another challenge for me was stopping, especially stopping abruptly. My technique now is to unclip one foot and get out of the saddle and let the crank rotate and flex my other leg as I come to halt. It's tied in with the freewheeling to an extent I suppose, just with one leg though.

As for hills, I worried about Arthur's Seat, the closest local Cat 4 climb, but tried it and set a Strava PR.
I also managed a few other Cat 4s in the area on that day.

My new extended commute has some quite lumpy bits - very short climbs with up to 16-18% - and I can manage them - just about!

Suffice to say fixed is my new preferred riding. So much less cleaning for a start - you don't realise how much mess a rear derailleur makes until you don't have one. These days I save the geared bike for club runs, sportives, audax and other very long/hilly rides.

Happy days! :smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
not been on my fixed for a few weeks now, weather has been good, might give it a wee go next week. Running 48 x 16 myself, what I will say is that after riding the geared bike for so long you can defo feel the fixed in your legs.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
not been on my fixed for a few weeks now, weather has been good, might give it a wee go next week. Running 48 x 16 myself, what I will say is that after riding the geared bike for so long you can defo feel the fixed in your legs.

I've been finding it a good workout going the long way round Dalmeny estate on 48x16. :thumbsup:

It was nice today to jump back on the geared bike for a club run. I definitely feel a benefit from fixed riding when I'm back on gears.

Top Bottom