S/S back to Fixed... do I, don't I...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
I hadn't been riding fixed for long - only a couple of months - but I switched from fixed to freewheel at the start of November because of the deteriorating weather, combined with a lack of confidence.
Since then S/S has become quite comfy!
But I have an urge to switch back to fixed...
I don't know why I'm even posting this... :laugh::rolleyes:

I'm still using my SS hub I like the idea of being able to freewheel up to obstacles (traffic etc.). I can't really see the benefit of having a fixed wheel to think about in those situations but thats just me ;)

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
2224389 said:
If you have ridden fixed and are not sure of the benefits, it is not for you.

I think I will give it another go...

A few things did put me off to start with (1) handling on wet, poorly set cobbles, with a right turn, with adverse camber, and loads of peds and traffic; (2), buses!; and (3), nearly being blown into a kerb by ~50mph gusts!

Saying that I did enjoy the extra momentum especially into the wind.

SS Retro

Sounds to me like you suit SS better.

SS advantages ability to free wheel
Fixed advantages you get that push over at the top of the crank (TDC)

Personally I have a flip/flop and ride it on SS for my needs it suits me much better than fixed but it's all down to personal choice. :smile:

Sounds to me like you suit SS better.

SS advantages ability to free wheel
Fixed advantages you get that push over at the top of the crank (TDC)

Personally I have a flip/flop and ride it on SS for my needs it suits me much better than fixed but it's all down to personal choice. :smile:
Me too,use fixed on the flatter routes s/s in the hills,altough less so in the winter
fixed keeps you warmer descending ,less chill factor :cold:

I went flip-flop some months ago and am enjoying both. I had fixed only on a flip-flop hub for a number of years. I prefer having the choice.

My children call it 'the fixie' whichever sprocket is in use.

My advice is to do whichever is more fun on the day, but (much as I hate to say this) I agree with Adrian: If you've tried fixed and don't see the benefits then maybe it's not for you.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
My advice is to do whichever is more fun on the day, but (much as I hate to say this) I agree with Adrian: If you've tried fixed and don't see the benefits then maybe it's not for you.

I think I'll stick to S/S for the commute, and flip to Fixed when out for normal rides which are not stop/start every few metres, or hilly. Sounds like a decent approach.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Oh well... I bottled it today.
I went out and the gusts were just too strong... so I turned back, and flipped to S/S for the first ride of the year. Fixed just feels too treacherous in the wind. :surrender:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed in wind, what's not to like.

I've been riding fixed for commuting for 3 years now, came to it from over 20 years of geared road bikes/MTB's. Once used to it, not being able to freewheel upto lights etc, you just forget it's any different. A quick flip of the wheel has the pedals back in the right place. It's better in headwinds as you have the added rotating advantage, so lose less speed, and the same for climbing.

OP
OP
edindave

edindave

Über Member
Fixed in wind, what's not to like.

I've been riding fixed for commuting for 3 years now, came to it from over 20 years of geared road bikes/MTB's. Once used to it, not being able to freewheel upto lights etc, you just forget it's any different. A quick flip of the wheel has the pedals back in the right place. It's better in headwinds as you have the added rotating advantage, so lose less speed, and the same for climbing.

I don't see how fixed is any different in the wind to running SS.

I just get a bit unnerved especially with crosswinds, when I seem to have a tendency to freewheel as it seems easier to lean into the wind and drop my opposite foot, like counter-steering.
Perhaps it's psychological but I think it doesn't help that I weigh <61kg. The wind can easily push me towards the kerb or the other side of the road, and has done a few times on the fixed. If there's traffic about it becomes all the more scary.

I need to build my confidence gradually. But I agree, with a straight on headwind I found the flywheel effect to be a great help.

Top Bottom