S/S complete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
My thoughts on it are its a very stable and predictable ride, a very desirable quality for me in a bike, there's no toe overlap, something thing I find really annoying in a bike, it is very comfortable and had no issues with it on my first ride of 60 miles. It fits me I'm 6'3" so getting a good fit is not always easy and the best thing is it's a whole lot of fun to ride feeling very efficient and light, but I am used to heavier slower and older bikes, so overall I very pleased indeed with my creation, but compared to carbon fibre and if your used to new lightweight stuff it may not seem so lively.

MyNameIsEarl

Thanks for your thoughts on it. It sounds like it'll give me a different riding experience to my current bikes.
With the way the industry is going with things like 105 Di2 coming out for £1750 (so I heard), IMO the cost of building your own bike is becoming difficult for the average person, so the cheaper simplicity of fixed/single speed really appeals.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
It was the simplicity of single speed that I really liked, have a bit of a thing with unnecessary overcomplication in anything but particularly with bike's, part of the appeal of cycling and bikes is they have up till recently retained most of there original simplicity.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
It was the simplicity of single speed that I really liked, have a bit of a thing with unnecessary overcomplication in anything but particularly with bike's, part of the appeal of cycling and bikes is they have up till recently retained most of there original simplicity.
I agree, when planning to buy for example a new phone or TV , should I wait there maybe an upgrade soon . But with a bike , I should buy a new one soon before they become even more complex.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Out this afternoon on my Spa this time flipped the wheel and rode it fixed for the first time, very pleased with the fact that I must have built up the wheel correctly centred with no issues with mudguard or brake rub ( mudguards are quite a tight fit) and if anything it added to the fun element of the ride.
Photos are near Egland hill, Garstang, nice and flat.

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_143804.jpg
    IMG_20220702_143804.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220702_143748.jpg
    IMG_20220702_143748.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Got some nicer brake levers for the Spa, much improved hand position and better grip too.
Getting really into riding it fixed I seem to have developed a lot better ankleing technique for faster down hill and also useing gentle reverse pressure on the pedals to keep the speed under control rather than useing the brakes.
I have also discovered its quite happy tooteling along slowly when needed too, it's proving to be quite a versatile machine.

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_133034.jpg
    IMG_20220711_133034.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220711_132949.jpg
    IMG_20220711_132949.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 28

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The brake levers look like Tektro 340 . A really comfortable lever with a nice action , for not a lot of money.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Out this afternoon on my Spa this time flipped the wheel and rode it fixed for the first time, very pleased with the fact that I must have built up the wheel correctly centred with no issues with mudguard or brake rub ( mudguards are quite a tight fit) and if anything it added to the fun element of the ride.
Photos are near Egland hill, Garstang, nice and flat.

You could have used that for a name that road challenge ;)

...and yesterday's bridge is Bells Bridge Lane.

Nice looking bike :okay:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
You could have used that for a name that road challenge ;)

...and yesterday's bridge is Bells Bridge Lane.

Nice looking bike :okay:

You definitely win the name that road challenge for Bels Bridge Lane, been down there many times but wouldn't be able to name it, its a nice lane with a nice bridge over the Lancaster canal near Garstang, Lancs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The brake levers look like Tektro 340 . A really comfortable lever with a nice action , for not a lot of money.

Yes there the one's, got them from Spa cycles £17 for the pair if I remember correctly, very cheap and very nice levers.
I fitted a pair to my singlespeed a few months ago. Yes, they are very good!

I used to use a tatty old pair of Ergopower controls with the gear-shifting parts removed. The gaping holes left had sharp edges which dug in my fingers. The Tektros are luxurious compared to them!

I like the way that the tips of the levers flare outwards. Much easier to reach for those of us lacking super-long fingers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom