S/Speed Debut Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Gave it another outing today (in single-speed mode) was a bit worried as it is quite windy so knew it would be a battle coming home, also I was going to tackle a hill I used to climb every day on my old commute.
Went pretty well, I got up the hill without walking and the head wind back didn't break me so I can be fairly confident I can do my current commute route on it without too many problems.

Hardest part was a short sharp hill coming out of a park in Stockport, forgot just how steep it was but just about managed to turn the pedals over.

View attachment 87171

Riding back from the Lickey Hills Country park year before last on my fixed I rode up Leaf End Lane and got almost to the top, about a dozen yards from the summit it steepens just slightly, and it was just enough to mean I couldn't maintain momentum and I ended up having to put a foot down or I would have fallen over, so ended up walking the last few yards. on fixed I recon to get up most hills but once in a while one will catch us out, I'd been fine riding up Fiery Hill Rd and Twatling Rd to the Country Park, and spun like a demon on the way back down.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Gave it another outing today (in single-speed mode) was a bit worried as it is quite windy so knew it would be a battle coming home, also I was going to tackle a hill I used to climb every day on my old commute.
Went pretty well, I got up the hill without walking and the head wind back didn't break me so I can be fairly confident I can do my current commute route on it without too many problems.

Hardest part was a short sharp hill coming out of a park in Stockport, forgot just how steep it was but just about managed to turn the pedals over.

View attachment 87171
I grew up in Stockport and I recognise this place but for the life of me can't remember where it is. Please remind me!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Just felt so strange Dave, hadn't realised just how much I freewheel when riding, any sign of a hazard or give way/red lights etc I immediately stop pedalling and cruise along.
Plus I was mainly on shared paths so had lots of peds/dogs/kids to watch out for, felt very nervous especially at slow speed?

Will probably give it another go next week but for now it can stay single-speed :okay:

To help you get used to riding fixed just find a really steep hill and pedal down it without using your brakes :whistle: :hyper:

After that you will be fine

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I am no longer curious :eek:

Thankfully the wheel has now been flipped back to the correct side, also discovered that although the 28c tyres do fit with the guards they are a very close fit and with taking the wheel out a few times it has to be re-fitted exactly right or the clearance becomes none existent, had a 23c Durano+ in stock so have put that on for now until I get a 25c.
Have left the 28c on the front for a bit of extra comfort.

View attachment 87081
So you won't be joining me on some big Audax or forum rides fixed then ??

So you won't be joining me on some big Audax or forum rides fixed then ??
Haha! So you will be coming on my fixed 100 next week then :smile:.
Regarding red as the colour for ss / fixed, it aint necessarily so, I took my Rourke 853 steel beauty to the Cicle Classic race at the weekend and in spite of the fact that the place was dripping with bling carbon, my bike got the most admiring looks and a couple of comments to the effect "how do you ride that around Rutland". Stick with it potsy, riding fixed makes you think ahead a lot more and can help you to anticipate others actions.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Flipped the wheel for a 10 mile practice ride fixed today, still waiting for it to get easier @dr_pink :ninja:

Question for @dave r @totallyfixed @fossyant or anyone else that knows about these things-

As far as I know my bike came with full 3/32 drivetrain, now I'm looking at potential different ratios and spare stuff to put in stock, lots of which is 1/8 in size so do I have to stick to the 3/32 or can I mix and match?

The freewheel I looked at said it was suitable for either size so that has got me wondering :scratch:

Top Bottom