S/Speed Debut Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Picked up my Genesis Flyer single-speed bike yesterday, a short 2 mile ride home in jeans and riding flat pedals didn't really give me the true picture of how the bike was going to ride.
Spent yesterday afternoon making some modifications so it now sports 28c Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's instead of the stock Conti's.
Also fitted essentials like Garmin/lights/saddle bag etc.

Today I took it for a short potter around the local area (didn't want to go too far from home in case I hadn't put the back wheel in correctly) and really enjoyed it.

Just the 10+ miles in the sun, will now have to flip the wheel and try it fixed just for curiosity :okay:

IMG_0959[1].jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yeah, a red bike :okay:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Just the 10+ miles in the sun, will now have to flip the wheel and try it fixed just for curiosity :okay:
I am no longer curious :eek:

Thankfully the wheel has now been flipped back to the correct side, also discovered that although the 28c tyres do fit with the guards they are a very close fit and with taking the wheel out a few times it has to be re-fitted exactly right or the clearance becomes none existent, had a 23c Durano+ in stock so have put that on for now until I get a 25c.
Have left the 28c on the front for a bit of extra comfort.

Fixed (2).jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I am no longer curious :eek:

Thankfully the wheel has now been flipped back to the correct side, also discovered that although the 28c tyres do fit with the guards they are a very close fit and with taking the wheel out a few times it has to be re-fitted exactly right or the clearance becomes none existent, had a 23c Durano+ in stock so have put that on for now until I get a 25c.
Have left the 28c on the front for a bit of extra comfort.

View attachment 87081

I take it you didn't enjoy your foray into the world of fixed?

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I take it you didn't enjoy your foray into the world of fixed?
Just felt so strange Dave, hadn't realised just how much I freewheel when riding, any sign of a hazard or give way/red lights etc I immediately stop pedalling and cruise along.
Plus I was mainly on shared paths so had lots of peds/dogs/kids to watch out for, felt very nervous especially at slow speed?

Will probably give it another go next week but for now it can stay single-speed :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

Just felt so strange Dave, hadn't realised just how much I freewheel when riding, any sign of a hazard or give way/red lights etc I immediately stop pedalling and cruise along.
Plus I was mainly on shared paths so had lots of peds/dogs/kids to watch out for, felt very nervous especially at slow speed?

Will probably give it another go next week but for now it can stay single-speed :okay:

Sounds like a plan to me, just ease yourself in gently, it might be an idea to try to find somewhere quieter for the next ride. I've got to the stage where its second nature, most of the time I'm not aware what my feet are doing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Be especially careful on your first downhill - the first time your pedals start dictating to you is a bit disconcerting to say the least! But you do get used to it - actually surprisingly quickly - and once you do, it gives you great control at low speeds round kids/dogs etc.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Gave it another outing today (in single-speed mode) was a bit worried as it is quite windy so knew it would be a battle coming home, also I was going to tackle a hill I used to climb every day on my old commute.
Went pretty well, I got up the hill without walking and the head wind back didn't break me so I can be fairly confident I can do my current commute route on it without too many problems.

Hardest part was a short sharp hill coming out of a park in Stockport, forgot just how steep it was but just about managed to turn the pedals over.

Wythenshawe House.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Climbing hills is actually slightly harder SS than fixed. I rode the Broughton and back Audax on mine on Sunday, and on some of the really steep hills, the majority of the effort was getting the pedal over the top dead spot. On fixed the flywheel effect of the bike moving negates that a bit.

OTOH you can freewheel back down from the top while SS instead of trying to do a blender impression :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Gave it another outing today (in single-speed mode) was a bit worried as it is quite windy so knew it would be a battle coming home, also I was going to tackle a hill I used to climb every day on my old commute.
Went pretty well, I got up the hill without walking and the head wind back didn't break me so I can be fairly confident I can do my current commute route on it without too many problems.

Hardest part was a short sharp hill coming out of a park in Stockport, forgot just how steep it was but just about managed to turn the pedals over.

View attachment 87171
Nice pic!

Top Bottom