SA lottery - nobbled?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was thinking along those lines too!

Maybe there are hundreds of them which have each run a thousand times or so? In that case you could be talking about low millions of draws. The chance of a particular draw once in all of that time would be reduced from billions-to-one to maybe tens-or-hundreds-of-thousands-to one?

Then you would have to look at the question "What IS an odd-looking draw?" There are clearly quite a lot of possibilities, which reduces the odds further...

Consecutive rising numbers separated by 1... 1-6, 2-7... 15-20. 15 sets.
Consecutive falling numbers separated by 1... 20-15, 19-14... 6-1. 15 sets.
Consecutive rising numbers separated by 2... 1-11, 2-12... 10-20. 10 sets.
Consecutive falling numbers separated by 2... 20-10, 19-9... 11-1. 10 sets.

And so on. I reckon you could come up with a hundred or so sets of numbers which people would find odd. Now we are perhaps talking of hundreds-or-thousands-to-one - still unlikely, but no longer astoundingly unlikely!
Odds of that sequence of numbers coming up/being drawn being given as 42,000,000 to 1.

https://news.sky.com/story/south-af...-draw-produces-numbers-5-6-7-8-and-9-12149669

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You’d hate it. Too far south, isn’t it?
True. I haven't been south of Bolton in nigh on 20 years!🧐

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Odds of that sequence of numbers coming up/being drawn being given as 42,000,000 to 1.
Approximately... :whistle:

If my 47 year old recollection of how permutations and combinations work is correct then it is (50! x 20) / (45! x 5!) which is 1:42,375,200.

If the order of the first 5 balls were significant then it would be 120 times less likely, 1:5,085,024,000.

I'm sure that if I am wrong then @si_c or one of the other forum mathematicians will soon be along to correct me! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member

https://news.sky.com/story/south-af...-draw-produces-numbers-5-6-7-8-and-9-12149669

If my 47 year old recollection of how permutations and combinations work is correct then it is (50! x 20) / (45! x 5!) which is 1:42,375,200.

If the order of the first 5 balls were significant then it would be 120 times less likely, 1:5,085,024,000.

I'm sure that if I am wrong then @si_c or one of the other forum mathematicians will soon be along to correct me! :laugh:
They were only slightly out on the odds then?

si_c

Guru

So about the same as the UK lottery then.

It's not that unsurprising really, unlikely but not unexpected if lottery games are played over a long enough time. What would be really curious would be if they came out in that order - the odds of that happening are much smaller, but definitely non-zero.
Edit: for the powerball, about 1 in 3billion.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So i take it there's more chance of Accrington Stanley winning the 'European Cup' three years in a row than winning the damned thing?🧐

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

No, you're more likely to win the lottery. That's the difference between fantasy and reality :laugh:
Did you just edit your post?

I got an alert saying that you had quoted me, but by the time I checked you were quoting Accy instead! :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I altered the 'European Cup' to European Cup. Thinking surely everyone knows it's now called the Champions League.:wacko:
That's interesting... for some reason it seems to have thrown the forum software out, unless si_c edited his post too?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I altered the 'European Cup' to European Cup. Thinking surely everyone knows it's now called the Champions League.:wacko:
I wouldn't have a clue! I watched England win the World Cup in 1966 but then went to a grammar school where football was banned and rugby was played instead. I lost interest in football after that (but didn't get interested in rugby!)...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's interesting... for some reason it seems to have thrown the forum software out, unless si_c edited his post too?
Hey,don't worry about it Colin. It's only a bit of fun.:okay:

Have you been south of Bolton by any chance recently?🤔 ;)

Last edited:

si_c

Guru

In terms of lotteries the probability of a given set of numbers is a function of the number of balls and the selected number of balls.

So it's 1 in the total number of combinations, this is calculated as 59! / (6! * 53!) in the case of the UK lotto - or about 1 in 45million. For the SA powerball example you have an initial pick of 5 balls from 45, and one powerball from 20. To calculate this we would use the permutations instead - we want one very specific permutation of these balls, so we calculate the number of permutations ( 45! / 40! ) and multiply by the 20 possibilities of the powerball to get the estimate I mentioned above.

Top Bottom