Sabbath September or Van Nicholas Yukon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Click on his name below the avatar, then "start conversation"
If you don't have that option yet cos you are a new member you'll need to get in touch with Shaun (site owner) to give you appropriate privileges.

BTW - another very satisfied VN Yukon owner here. Mine runs Campag Triple though.

Thank you

gbs

Guru
I'd be wary of 2nd hand Ti, given the number of frame failures - worth having a lifetime guarantee I reckon.

this comes as a shock to me. Please disclose your supporting evidence.

martint235

Dog on a bike
There's been a few Geoff. From speaking to some of those involved, they were loathe to discuss the issue online so I won't break that confidence. Next time we're out on a ride though, remind me and I'll tell you who to ask.

Venod

Eh up

I had a Sunday (Sabbath before they changed their name) cycles Silk Road Pro that cracked on the top tube just behind the head tube, I noticed the crack while cleaning it, It was still riding OK with the crack though, I worked with an old friend who did titanium welding on steam turbine rotors, I had no hesitation on letting him repair the frame which he did and I rode the bike on fixed for approx a year after that with no problems before selling it.

I wasn't the 1st owner of the frame and I emailed pics to Sabbath to highlight the problem, they offered a very generous discount against a new frame even though I was not the original owner which I thought was very good of them, but I had already replaced the frame with a Planet X carbon and I wanted to keep the old frame to run on fixed ( it was a condition of the discount I returned the frame to them so they could inspect it ) I would have no problem buying another Sabbath frame but as martin235 says cracking is not unknown, the 1st titanium frame I had was an Airborne (now VN) Zeppelin that is still going strong for a friend, I now run a Kinesis GF titanium, for me it is the frame material of choice, I am sure there will be more sound frames than cracked ones but of course you hear more about the cracked one's.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not sure if the OP is still considering an Alfine 11, but I would advise anyone who is to check the ratios are suitable for their use.

Lots of stories online about first being not low enough for stiff climbs on a loaded tourer.

I have an Alfine 11 on my Rose/Bosch ebike.

You need some cadence from the system to draw the grunt out of the motor.

First, when spinning, equates to about 7mph, which is certainly no granny climbing gear.

It's possible to lower the gearing using a smaller chain ring or larger rear sprocket.

But some owners who have done that find top gear - 11th - is then too low.

My mate Vince, who is a trained bike mechanic and a keenish touring cyclist, had several goes at tinkering with the gearing on his Alfine.

He couldn't get it right, so has given up on the Alfine and gone back to derailleurs.

Top Bottom