Saddle bags a bit larger than toolbags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to buy a saddle bag that I can use on day rides that can hold, as well as my tools, some sandwiches, a rain jacket and possibly a small flask for coffee. I do not need or want anything as large as a pannier and would prefer not to need a rear rack.

I have looked for but not found anything suitable yet. Has anyone any ideas for something suitable?

rivers

How far can I go?
I am looking to buy a saddle bag that I can use on day rides that can hold, as well as my tools, some sandwiches, a rain jacket and possibly a small flask for coffee. I do not need or want anything as large as a pannier and would prefer not to need a rear rack.

I have looked for but not found anything suitable yet. Has anyone any ideas for something suitable?

A 6-8 litre saddlebag should do the trick. I have an altura vortex that I use for commuting, so fits a change of clothes and my tools.

vickster

Legendary Member
Spa cycles is your friend :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Go for a 'longflap' camper by Carradice, you know you wanna

wajc

Veteran
The trend for bikepacking at the moment seems to be i favour of something like this which is available in several sizes.

Topeak Backloader

There is also this style of bag which fits to your seat post with a quick release adapter which is again available in 2 sizes. It's referred to as an off-road bag but don't let that put you off - the bag is just as happy on road as off.

Vaude Website

Vaude Seatpost bag

There are a huge number of bags around in different styles etc so you should be able to find one that suits. The reason why I've linked to these two in particular is that I have both of them but other manufacturers do similar.

I find with the Vaude style of bag that it is much quicker and easier to unzip the bag and get out what I want. It can be removed from the bike and refitted easier as well. With the Backloader style bag there is just a bit more of a faff involved with doing this.

Importantly the Vaude is a rigid style of bag so so less likely to squash those sandwiches ^_^

One thing you do need be aware of is that Vaude state that it shouldn't be used with a carbon seatpost because the 'quick fit' clamp tightens on to the post. I guess this is where the straps of the Backloader style of bag do have an advantage.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Thanks for some good suggestions so far which have given me some food for thought. The large traditional style saddle bags are big enough to hold a weeks worth of stuff for me so I will probably go for one of the more modern, smaller style.

I like the look of the Carradura Maxi and the Ortlieb Saddle bag , or possibly the Altura Quick Release, because I already have their QR system attached to two of my saddles.

Top Bottom