Saddle Bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
If you haven't got a great deal to load into the bag, I can recommend Wilko's small bag:
http://www.wilko.com/all-bike-parts+accessories/wilko-saddle-bag-black-small/invt/0198925

I managed to put a spare tube, 3 tyre levers, a multi-tool, a puncture repair kit and a cable lock into mine.

bikebag1.jpg

The toe strap is not really needed. It's just there for added security. It's quite good quality and good value at only £5.

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
As an alternative, I use a bottle cage to hold one of these

Much easier to get stuff out, and I can transfer it from bike to bike.
i can recommend those…

Globalti

Legendary Member
Scott do a range of small bags that hang from the saddle rails on a W clip, with a stabilising Velcro strap around the seatpost. Unfortunately the straps are often too long for the Velcro section to meet so you need to get a needle and thread and stitch a bight in the strap to shorten it. Once that's done they are very secure and don't rattle if stuffed tight with a multi tool, a spare CO2 cylinder, an inner tube rolled tight and two tyre levers.

That said, my best bike doesn't have a saddle bag; a tube and two levers and the gas inflator go in my pockets as I don't want to spoil the look of the bike. I don't carry a multi tool because it never needs adjusting.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
View attachment 363491
Small size is good for road bikes.

@GrumpyGregry

Wasn't aware of these - just went and bought one (black) for my new bike today. Thanks for posting.

NB: replaces my Spesh Mini Wedgie which was a piece of crud - very difficult to pack, the zip kept jamming and some of the internal stitching had given up the ghost.

The Ortlieb Micro (small) packed up very easily with a little bit of room left over (for a phone or couple of gel sachets) with spare tube, tyre levers, Topeak multi-tool, Lezeyne CO2 pump + spare cartridge, some Scabs and a few latex gloves.

Nice simple clip-on and clip-off fitting system.

Reactions: mjr

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A lot of my friends use them, in their view it makes the bike look better having no saddle bag. I prefer to go on longer rides though and use the cage for a bottle :okay:
I use one of these on my road bike.

I hadn't realised this was such a controversial issue until I researched new saddle bags.

Each to their own but crikey, if someone's fretting over a saddle bag ruining the looks of their bike they maybe need to read a thread such as the one posted on CC a few days back by a member who is, very sadly, losing his sight.

I hadn't realised this was such a controversial issue until I researched new saddle bags.
(agreeing but going a lighter way)

My favourite is people who won't use mudguards or saddle bags to "keep the bike looking clean", meanwhile they look like some inverse Quasimodo with multiple lumps on their lower backs covered with a shoot-brown stripe .

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

Each to their own but crikey, if someone's fretting over a saddle bag ruining the looks of their bike they maybe need to read a thread such as the one posted on CC a few days back by a member who is, very sadly, losing his sight.

I was very saddened to hear about the chap whose lost his sight and that would be my absolute worse fear, but we are also allowed to admire, modify and treasure our bikes without feeling guilty, be it for aesthetics, speed or just enjoyment. thank you.

Alex1982

Hi there

I'm looking to buy a saddle bag for my two road bikes:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-teammachine-slr03-105-2017-road-bike-EV273214
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-2-2016

I'd like a saddle bag big enough so I can carry spare tools, tyre levers and inner tubes. I also have my pumps attached to each bike on the frame, so wouldn't need to carry them in the saddle bag. Can anyone recommend any saddle bags? Also, how easy are they to fit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

I use the wallets from rapha for carrying s spare inner tube, levers, co2 canister, cash and card

I then have more spares in a small saddle bag

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I can't say I've ever heard of a cyclist ever being injured by landing on whatever was in his or her rear jersey pockets.
My phone was in my rear jersey packet and acted as deformable crash structure when I had my off last Saturday and landed on it. The only injury was to my wallet for a replacement.

Top Bottom