saddle clamp bolt stripped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hit a bump and the saddle tilted upwards, made the remaining ride home a bit "interesting". Anyhow got home, loosened bolt reset saddle at the right angle tightened and then "crack" now the threads are stripped, and I can't seem to find a replacement, tried LBS etc, the problem is the nut that sits in the upper clamp, I think its quite size specific to fit in the recess in the upper clamp, any ideas where to find such a thing?

saddle clamp bolt.JPG

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Could you post pictures of each side of the saddle showing the hole that the bolt goes through?

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Thanks, here's a view from above and the recess is where the clamp nut sits, and the view from the rear shows the clamp on the seat post minus the bolt of course. clamp 1.JPG clamp 2.JPG

I realise the bolt is easy to find, its an allen headed bolt, its the nut that's the difficult thing to source

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Like stuck for years!

Never really been an issue though as my leg length has remained constant over the last 40 odd years.

I don't fancy damaging the frame, the paintjob is too smart I'd be mightily pee'd off it that got buggered. caustic soda down the seat tube via the bb scares the cack out of me tbh.

I just need that bloody nut,

Zoiders

Caustic is taking things a bit far if you haven't tried other methods.

I would leave it upside down and give it copious amounts of WD40/GT85/Plusgas whatever in through the bottle cage bolt hole.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
If you are a practical type it would be easy to make one. A length of suitable diameter steel rod cut lengthwise into semi-circular cross section, drill and tap to appropriate thread.

If not, perhaps a little scrounging at a long-established lbs might get you one from the scrap box.

Is there room enough between the top of the nut and underside of the saddle for another standard nut? If so, and you could get a spanner in there, you could drill the stripped thread out to clearance size for the bolt and use the standard nut to tighten the lot.

02GF74

Über Member
Cheers. the last idea looks possible

I would suggest a dowel or barrel nut, here is one yesterday.

!Bq-TptQ!mk~$(KGrHqUOKiUEubhH+yNsBL)uL6zwSg~~_35.JPG

Note that these are for furniture and made of cheesey steel so you want one that is 8.8 or 12.9 grade.

I doubt you can get them in that sort of strength so DIY way would be to find a high tensisle bolt of correct diameter, cut to length then drill and tap.

You could use a washer and nut but you need the "roundness" in order to be able to adjust the saddle.

Yep, happened to me too. Bolt snapped with seven miles left to ride out of the 70 we were doing. Managed it standing on the pedals and between times resting very carefully on the remains of the post. Anyway I could see there had been wear in the clamp so didn't bother repairing it just got a new one with two bolt micro adjust to be on the safe side!
Much easier to get the saddle int he correct position now, so go on , treat yourself to something expensive........

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
"I would leave it upside down and give it copious amounts of WD40/GT85/Plusgas whatever in through the bottle cage bolt hole."

Done that, WD40 and also the 3 in 1 penetrant spray, the tube is well and truly flooded, still stuck, any other suggestions welcome?

Top Bottom