Saddle fitting - Adapter ? Bolt & Rail ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Hi my 1996 purchased old bike has a single bolt attachment re saddle fitting - if I purchase a new Rail based saddle - any suggestions how I attach it ? Is there an adapter available or something? Pictures attached of existing saddle and just a basic box standard rail type I’d like to fit ?
Any suggestions most welcome thanks in advance regards Humpty

Attachments

• E0E03E1F-C647-4334-B875-07E5A65E6892.jpeg
    E0E03E1F-C647-4334-B875-07E5A65E6892.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 10
  • B534673E-50FF-482F-BA55-7650DF7487F9.jpeg
    B534673E-50FF-482F-BA55-7650DF7487F9.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need a new seatpost.

You also need to check the post's diameter before ordering. Now it looks like the top clamp is a separate part, many cheap seatposts are like this and you may be able to get a replacement clamp, but I recon a new seatpost will be about the same price.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Thanks everyone sorry for being thick here - why do I need a new seat post as opposed to just a different clamp ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its unlikely that the rail clamp, if you can get it separate to a seat post for much less than a seat post and clamp costs, will fit the diameter of post at the top of your old seat post.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will most likely cost you as much anyway. £10 should be enough. Lots of different diameters though. 27.2 is the 'norm' but plenty of other odd sizes are out there, 27.0, 26.8 etc. as well as larger on more modern bikes.

You definitely need to check.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Thanks appreciate the heads up ! What a mine field for such (what I thought) was going to be a simple job 👍

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you have access to any bikes at a tip or scrapyard you might drop lucky and find a bracket that fits your existing post and new saddle. That kind of clamp is only found on cheaper bikes nowadays, the kind that often get thrown away after just a year or two.
Otherwise, as has been said already, get a new seat post/clamp combo. Just make sure you get exactly the right size/diameter post. 0.2mm might not sound much but it can make the difference between a nice fit or having to hammer it in (it's been done!) Or a post that slips down or damages the frame trying to clamp it enough.....

Top Bottom