Saddle height and bar position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
This one is a pretty useless rule of thumb as it can be affected by something which has no effect on bike fit, the size of the neck and head. People with longer necks and bigger heads might be thinking their fit is wrong when actually their shoulders are exactly where they should be. I've always been able to see the hub on any bike I've ridden.
Agree just a guide, but useful when the next bike comes along to help replicate a similar position

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The visibility of the hub has no bearing on anything

GuyBoden

Guru
I've been adjusting the saddle on my latest build, after the initial setup using my usual measurements, it took a few rides slightly altering the saddle height/forward/backward during the rides to get it right.

Same size bikes have different geometry.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've been adjusting the saddle on my latest build, after the initial setup using my usual measurements, it took a few rides slightly altering the saddle height/forward/backward during the rides to get it right.

Same size bikes have different geometry.

I always measure saddle height,allowing for different crank length, saddle set back , reach to hoods and drop from saddle to hood

Sharky

Guru
I too always try and fix the saddle in the same position relative to the BB and to the pedal with cranks extended. Then get the handle bar height and reach to the hoods from the nose of the saddle all the same. Yet always need tweaking after a road test.

I also find it a little intriguing in the spring, when I return to my summer bike, that it never feels the same as I thought it was 6 months previously. But a few miles/days on the bike and the comfort returns.

What does confuse me is when we talk about geometry. Especially when we try hard to get the three contact points the same. The only aspects that could give a "different" ride is the fork rake and wheelbase.

Very upright position. Nothing drastically wrong though. Of course a few adjustments of MM won't show on a still picture.

I just move saddle height up and down and see how you go.

Top Bottom