Saddle Height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bustergrey

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted a bit of advice on the height of the sadle. When i pedal my leg isnt fully extended, so my knees are always bent. On the static bike at the gym they tell me my legs must almost be fully extended at the most downward point. Any advice would be great.

cheers:biggrin:

hey bustergrey, welcome to CC

At 6 o'clock, your legs should be slightly bent, and not fully extended to the point where you lock your knees. On the other hand you shouldn't bend them too much or you'll be putting unwanted stress on them.

Best thing to do though is to go to a professional and have it set up according to your size.

dodgy

Sit on the saddle, make sure one pedal is at the bottom of its stroke, place your heal on the pedal and your leg should be more or less fully extended. When you put your foot on the pedal normally using the ball of your foot, there should be a slight bend at the knee.

Dave.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What Dodgy Dave said. Personally I adjust the saddle till my leg is straight with my heel on the pedal at the bottom position (wearing usual riding shoes)...then *lower* it just a cm or so.

OP
OP
B

bustergrey

cheers for the advice guys, i will have to have a go at that tonight, my knees are miles to bent by the sounds of it which might explain why my knees are acheing so much.
:smile:

dodgy

You'll also be developing a fraction of the possible power if your knees are too bent. I cringe when I see a novice cyclist go by with their saddle waaaaaaaaaaay too low, but never say anything :smile:

ASC1951

Guru
dodgy said:
I cringe when I see a novice cyclist go by with their saddle waaaaaaaaaaay too low, but never say anything
Lots of those round here, but wearing hoodies and with the saddles round their ankles. I never offer advice on their bike fit either, because I don't want an Uzzi stuck under my nostrils. If challenged I just say I'm fully supplied, thanks, but maybe next week. ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
The heel on the pedal with the leg straight is a good starting point. However after that try to move the seat up and down a little bit (a few mm) until you find that position that's really comfortable for you. No two persons are exactly the same so experiment a little and find what you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyuss

Veteran
Like Keith says, heel on the pedal is only a starting point. It will also depend on your pedalling style. Some people tend to drop their ankle at the bottom of the stroke, others, like me, are very toes down. I have my saddle set quite a bit higher than the recommended heel on pedal technique but it works for me.

Chris James

Über Member
'The palindrome of Bolton would be notloB'

Totally off topic but the pedant in me has to point out that a palindrome is a word or phrase that reads the same forwards and backwards, not just spelling a word backwards.

eg Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era
or
Do geese see God

Top Bottom