Saddle Height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. I've noticed a lot of cyclists have their saddles much higher than their handlebars. I've put my saddle as high as it can go (I think). When my feet are at the 6 o'clock position, I have a slight bend in the knee - due to a ski accident, I have one leg slightly shorter than the other and this slight bend is in the shorter leg! My bike is a BMC Team Machine SLR03 51 frame size and I'm roughy 5'6 with a 29 inside leg. Pic:

Attachments

• 20180701_214838.jpg
    20180701_214838.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you comfortable? If so, leave as is. Bike geometries are different (some frames are very compact) but so is every cyclist

My saddle is fairly high as my leg length is relatively greater than my torso (5’10, 33-34” leg). I’m also crocked and not very flexible so I have the stem flipped to raise the bars

Saddle height vs bar height must take in the pedal to saddle height, but also the rotation of the rider about the BB. You can rotate forward and down, as a Tri rider might do, by moving your saddle forward and up a little, maintaining the p-s distance. You can then lower the bars but not be too flexed at the waist.
Don't be too concerned with how other people set their bikes up. Set the bike up for your dimensions and flexibility and for your riding requirements. extreme aero positions are most effective at the highest speeds. If your priority is bike handling in traffic or rough ground, or hill climbing, or all day comfort, you might choose a different riding position.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thanks everyone for their replies. I went to the bike shop and they took out one of the spacers. I'm going to give it a go!

bpsmith

Veteran
That’s exactly what I was going to post. It isn’t always how high the saddle is, but how low the bars are.

I echo the above about comfort and flexibility. If it’s right, leave it be. In saying that, there’s nothing wrong with having a test of different positions. Just note down the starting positions of the components you propose to change and then do small increments.

Flipping a spacer from below the stem to above is a good place to start.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
That’s exactly what I was going to post. It isn’t always how high the saddle is, but how low the bars are.

I echo the above about comfort and flexibility. If it’s right, leave it be. In saying that, there’s nothing wrong with having a test of different positions. Just note down the starting positions of the components you propose to change and then do small increments.

Flipping a spacer from below the stem to above is a good place to start.

That's what I'm thinking and if it doesn't suit me, for whatever reason, I can always flip back.

Thanks again everyone for their replies.

bpsmith

Veteran
That's what I'm thinking and if it doesn't suit me, for whatever reason, I can always flip back.

Thanks again everyone for their replies.
It always pays to do incremental changes and either do short test rides or take the right tools with you to change on the fly if necessity.

Kajjal

Guru
Key thing is first get the saddle in the right position completely ignoring the bars. This means your legs are in the right position.

Once that is done the height and reach of the bars is entirely up to your personal preference and what suits your body. I have about 1 inch drop on my road bike as I find for me it means I can ride in the drops for longer periods perfectly fine and other positions are good to on the bars.

Velochris

Über Member
Don't worry about others, be con Cerne with yourself.

I only have my bars 3.5cm below the saddle and I've ridden for years. .....

Most people in ride with have them much lower and pro looking.

My position suits me and nobody else and that is what matters.

Even with the bike set as it is I can still get low enough using good technique. I see a lot of people riding with rigid arms so they will always think they need lower bars.

Keep a straight torso and lean lower by allowing the elbows to bend. This provides comfort through shock absorption and helps you get as low as most people need to go.

Top Bottom