Saddle pack (bikepacking style) advice for small frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

So, my wife wants to get a bikepacking style saddle pack for some short (one or two nights in b&b) trips that we are planning. She doesn’t want panniers or a traditional style saddle bag, but likes the restrap / apidura / ortlieb seatpacks. It needs about 8 litres of storage capacity.

The problem is that many of these seemed to be designed for larger frames and taller riders. At 5ft 3 inches and using an S size frame, some of them are ruled out. The Restrap 8l bag seems like it would just about have clearance but I’m not sure that these things are always as exact as claimed.

Any shorter riders (or partners of shorter riders) have any advice on this? As I mentioned above saddle bags are a total no-no and a small pannier would be an absolute last resort.

thanks

T4tomo

Guru
Frame bag that sits in the "triangle" under the top tube/crossbar? (although on a small frame it doesnt leave much water bottle space / access.
Or she could do what my partner does, and gives me her stuff to carry on my bike...

Reactions: Dwn

contadino

Veteran
I don't really get the buzz about modern seat bags. I tried one for an overnight a few years ago and the swaying around was really annoying. Used it Saturday/Sunday, sold it on the Monday. Frame bags, yes. Bar bags, yes. Pods, yes. Big wobbly saddle bags, no thanks.

What I'd really like is for someone to update the carradice bags with modern materials and fixings. They weigh a tonne , the straps are dire, the fixings aren't fit for purpose, but they're the only option of their kind really.

It’s an aesthetics thing, Understands that they are practical but thinks that they are ugly. I quite like them, personally, but I guess we all have different tastes in these things.
OK - thanks for the reply - her choice - thought it might be an issue with racks being ugly. Or something to do with the sort of bike.

It’s an aesthetics thing, Understands that they are practical but thinks that they are ugly. I quite like them, personally, but I guess we all have different tastes in these things.
Well that's fine! If she's happy to source what fits her bike, fit them ....

<sorry, I know that's unhelpful! But when people post queries on behalf of someone who refuse the sensible, well-tested, robust solutions ... >

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I don't really get the buzz about modern seat bags. I tried one for an overnight a few years ago and the swaying around was really annoying. Used it Saturday/Sunday, sold it on the Monday. Frame bags, yes. Bar bags, yes. Pods, yes. Big wobbly saddle bags, no thanks.

What I'd really like is for someone to update the carradice bags with modern materials and fixings. They weigh a tonne , the straps are dire, the fixings aren't fit for purpose, but they're the only option of their kind really.
I did have an ortlieb seatpack myself, and didn’t really notice much wobble - but it was a pita to pack and fix on the bike, so I sold it and replaced it with some of their gravel packs (small panniers, which are perfect for my needs).

Saddle bags would be a practical solution, but she really dislikes the appearance.

Eight litres isn't much - I have the idea you are doing the trip together - howzabout you carry everything in panniers and stuff stacked on top and she kinda wafts along with you? I can recommend some good strap systems.

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Well that's fine! If she's happy to source what fits her bike, fit them ....

<sorry, I know that's unhelpful! But when people post queries on behalf of someone who refuse the sensible, well-tested, robust solutions ... >
To be honest, I’m not even sure why you answered unless it was to vent about people not adopting the norms that you regard as sensible and robust. But thanks for your input

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Eight litres isn't much - I have the idea you are doing the trip together - howzabout you carry everything in panniers and stuff stacked on top and she kinda wafts along with you? I can recommend some good strap systems.
Yes, that may well be the case and I wouldn’t mind but I think she would like to carry her own stuff. And I suspect when we get to the hills I won’t be quite so sanguine about being the beast of burden! I’ve done a quick trial and reckon 20 litres between us is enough - my small panniers wild easily hold that

Top Bottom