Saddle Sore / Numbness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My favourite saddle, comfortable without padded shorts, and one of the most beautiful IMO

upload_2017-9-17_22-5-30.jpeg

OP
OP
Stroke Survivor

Stroke Survivor

Regular
I have given up riding on the roads now and have invested in an indoor turbo machine (basically lifts bike off ground). I had 3 near head on collisions where arrogant car users just came straight at me on narrow roads and the straw that broke the camels back, a van, as it overtook me, nudged me into the hedge. Checked my camera, just bushes and me saying profanities. Scared the crap out of me. Anyhoot, will keep training and go back out in Spring 2018. 1 question and excuse me ladies if this is crude but gentleman, is it natural after 20 mins in the saddle, when one dismounts, to get this weird sensation/panic, under ones testacles, in the thick vein? It sort of feels as if one is about to orgasm BUT at the same time, as if one is preventing oneself from urinating by squeezing ones shaft, causing a urine back log. I hope this is common and i'm not weird.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
is it natural after 20 mins in the saddle, when one dismounts, to get this weird sensation/panic, under ones testacles, in the thick vein?
Never had that. Are you talking about only on a turbo? I've rarely ridden one of those so I wouldn't know if so. If it was on a regular bike, I'd be concerned that a mispositioned saddle was putting pressure on the central underneath bit rather than the sit bones.

Alan O

Über Member
1 question and excuse me ladies if this is crude but gentleman, is it natural after 20 mins in the saddle, when one dismounts, to get this weird sensation/panic, under ones testacles, in the thick vein? It sort of feels as if one is about to orgasm BUT at the same time, as if one is preventing oneself from urinating by squeezing ones shaft, causing a urine back log. I hope this is common and i'm not weird.
I've never had that, either out riding or on the turbo. Perhaps you might need a saddle with a central cutout or hollow?

simongt

Guru
1 question and excuse me ladies if this is crude but gentleman, is it natural after 20 mins in the saddle, when one dismounts, to get this weird sensation/panic, under ones testacles, in the thick vein? It sort of feels as if one is about to orgasm BUT at the same time, as if one is preventing oneself from urinating by squeezing ones shaft, causing a urine back log. I hope this is common and i'm not weird.
As with Alan O, in fifty years of cycling, I've only experienced bad discomfort once and that was with a cutout saddle which was changed pretty sharpish - ! :rofl:Currently breaking in a B.17, confident in the knowledge that after a few 'awkward' rides & applications of Proofhide, all will be well in the nether regions - ! :thumbsup:
Odd thing though, When I bought my first Brooks saddle, a B.5N back in 1967, I have no recollection at all of the LBS, locally very respected, telling me anything about Proofhide or a breaking in process. But it never gave me any problems.

Alan O

Über Member
Odd thing though, When I bought my first Brooks saddle, a B.5N back in 1967, I have no recollection at all of the LBS, locally very respected, telling me anything about Proofhide or a breaking in process. But it never gave me any problems.
Back when I got my first Brooks saddle (a B17, given to me with a bike) there was no Proofide. Accepted wisdom (well, my Grandad who'd used leather bike saddles all his life) was to apply neatsfoot oil sparingly until the saddle/bum combination was broken in, and after that I used dubbin a couple of times a year - the saddle lasted me for a couple of decades, and I'd probably still have it if I hadn't stupidly given it away with the old bike when I got a new one.

Today I have a Brooks Swallow on one of my bikes, and I've used neatsfoot oil again and intend to apply dubbin a couple of times a year.

Reactions: mjr

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Like my B.5N, I'd probably still have it if I hadn't let my elder son use the bike it was on. No idea about keeping it dry etc..
My B5n is my 2nd favourite Brooks but my favourite is my B17n

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm partly tempted to buy a B.5N off e-bay or wherever and put it on my street bike. ^_^
The B17n is the same shape, the only difference (with mine) is a dimpled top and a row of lace holes on the B5n (plus about 25-30yrs)
The other similarity is they've both kept their shape, one for 17yrs and t'other for 40 odd. :becool:

Richard dickson

Regular
I bought my 2nd hand bike a few days ago. I have 2012 Carrera Subway Limited Edition. It is in immaculate condition and came with every service stamp, last stamped 1 week earlier. Anyway, I digress. I weigh 18st 7lbs, I put my cycling shorts and other comfy gear on. Set off on my 1st 6 mile ride in over 16 years........... and yes you guessed it, I managed just under 3 miles. My bum just kept heating up. I got home and my ass felt like it had the leading role in Broke Back Mountain. Before anyone suggests it, yes all measurements, seat and clothing were fine. After looking on Google my mind was even more confused... get shorts with gel insert, keep away from shorts with gel insert, use e45, nappy cream, or vaseline, don't use e45, nappy cream, or vaseline. Put up with the pain, it gets easier, don't put up with the pain, it will put you off. Please just reply with your experience, not 'thoughts' on the subject. I am riding 'road only' to lose weight and as physiotherapy due to Surviving Strokes in 2001.
Hello. I am 5ft 9 ins tall . And used to be 15 stone. I was Un fit. Still cycle a bit not enough tho. I had to do something .
I did ...... I tried Slimming world! Don't all laugh. It was a bit happy clappy. And most were ladies who some had a hell of a lot mor weight to lose than me.
In 7 months I lost 2 1/2 stone. Amazing I did not take it that seriously but week on week I lost weight. There will be a group near you. It worked for me it could for you with only a few small changes and a bit of self control.
Try it you won't regret it.

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm guessing that your saddle is at the wrong height and its not the right size.. Seek a bit of help from a local bike shop. Getting the basics right is a good start. Getting comfortable is always a painful start to cycling.. good luck anyway.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Which probably means rubbing them with a waxy or oily water-repellent so as to protect them from becoming soaked?

Sorry.... I haven't go the time for that. I'm too busy sponging my bike down with milk of virgin Himalayan alpacas and buffing it with Bulgarian rose petals!
Bianchi owner?

chriscross1966

Über Member
.....1 question and excuse me ladies if this is crude but gentleman, is it natural after 20 mins in the saddle, when one dismounts, to get this weird sensation/panic, under ones testacles, in the thick vein? It sort of feels as if one is about to orgasm BUT at the same time, as if one is preventing oneself from urinating by squeezing ones shaft, causing a urine back log. I hope this is common and i'm not weird.
That sounds like you're sitting at the wrong angle and putting pressure on something. When I was heavier than I am now I remember that the position my back wanted my pelvis at was not good for my seating comfort, and tipping the saddle nose down slightly helped a bit..

Top Bottom