Saddle Sore / Numbness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
Certainly any advice about what saddle, what shorts and what cream should be taken with some salt, or even completely disregarded at this stage.

The advice to just ride the goddamn bike is sound and valid whatever. You get a sore bum after 3 miles of cycling, having never done it in over a decade. Fact.

Whatever you do.....DON'T add salt to your sudocreme or shorts?

As already stated though...saddle comfort is a personal journey and the answer for some may not be the answer for you. For instance-I personally do not get on with gel padded shorts too well. I've tried a few but they were just 'lumpy' in all the wrong places for me. I have a pair with just a plain thinnish synthetic chamois which suit me better although these are somewhat harder to find these days. Changing my saddle to one o those slightly odd looking Selle SMP anatomic ones changed things completely for me. The cheaper 'Touring' range are unusually heavily padded in the right place for me and they have the 'beak' and a mahoosive cutout.Generally heavily padded saddles can end up making things worse and are avoided but I ride these comfortably WITHOUT padded shorts. Be aware that the very cheapest SMP (the 'TRK') is maybe a bit bulky for a drop-bar road bike but good for something like a 'Subway'-I started with one but it eventually went on my more upright hybrid type bike bike-but the Hybrid and Extra (which I use) are fine and designed more for road-bike riding. The really svelte 'racing' versions are a bit spendy though.
But - this is just ME...your solution will be different I expect. Certainly, it DOES take time for your u/carriage to acclimatise to bike riding if you you have been away from it-so maybe don't be in TOO much of a rush to invest in 200 dollar saddles and nappy cream.

Good luck and congrats on getting your leg over!

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My mate who has ridden around Scotland, many parts of France, takes part in the Isle of Wight Randonee 12 times, and used to commute to work every day 12 miles each, way struggled in the prudential 46 because he hasn't ridden much this year. His rear end was really sore when he finished through lack of cycling. You need to get out there and get some miles in. The pain will pass.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's bound to be uncomfortable initially.

Provided the bike approximately fits you make sure you are sitting on your sit bones. Other than this while you are returning to cycling and building up the miles do not spend money on anything. It is far too early to diagnose the cause if the discomfort proves to be long term.

If your backside doesn't toughen up after a decent number of rides look at your seating position. After this, in my view, the most important piece of cycling clothing is quality shorts.

Saddles / clothing kit and caboodle / lotions and potions, and how they relate to ride comfort, is a very common topic on new / inexperienced / returning after a long time off the bike rider threads. My personal experience is to wear some sort of padded shorts, get a firm-ish gel saddle, use a decent chamois cream, then it's just down to firming up your Glutes, and developing a riding style that minimises the weight going onto the saddle, for as long as possible.

OP
OP
Stroke Survivor

Stroke Survivor

Regular
Thank you for all the different bits of advice. I used vaseline for a couple of rides and it took away the sorness completely. I invested in some shorts with gel insert and did my 1st ride in them today and without vaseline. They worked a treat. Now just need to wait for the hand numbness to pass. Got some good gel gloves but I feel it's the weight that needs to pass now. Thanks Guys.

adamhearn

Veteran
Hand numbness is either too much pressure (i.e. your body weight is pushing on your hands), gloves that are too tight and/or poor positioning/maintaining a death grip on the bars.

Your saddle to bar drop may be too great given your lack of recent cycling. However it's not simply a case of lowering the saddle but instead you have to work on the bar end - flip stem, adjust angle, insert spacers, etc. to bring the bars up.

It's also important to keep the hands mobile and shift between various positions though on a flat bar that's hard to do. Subtle repositioning on the grips during a ride may be enough though you may consider investing in some bar ends that give you another position to try.

Goofball

I was in the same boat, Started again after about 30-35 years, nearly 18 stone and my bum was killing me.

Got the padded saddle cover, padded shorts insert (felt like I had dropped one in my shorts) and no help.

Got a city saddle from liddle's and that help ease it some.
I also adjusted the saddle as well.

A wide well padded saddle and adjusted, might help you too.

I have the hand problem too.
Doing what the above post says helps, I also got jelled grips and palm padded gloves.

They all helped reduce the pain.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The recommendation to splash out on a Brooks saddle is silly if you haven't had a proper bike fit session and your existing saddle is set up all wrong. Also Brooks saddles are expensive, will stretch in wet weather (and with respect, will probably stretch under your weight as well) because they are just a piece of hide suspended on a frame. Fans of these medieval instruments swear by them because they will stretch and sag to the shape of your bottom but there's no substitute for a properly fitted bike. As you get fitter and lose weight it will become easier - I weigh 76 kilos and I know that if I rode around with even a 10 kg rucsac my bum would be in agony after a few miles.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The recommendation to splash out on a Brooks saddle is silly if you haven't had a proper bike fit session and your existing saddle is set up all wrong. Also Brooks saddles are expensive, will stretch in wet weather (and with respect, will probably stretch under your weight as well) because they are just a piece of hide suspended on a frame. Fans of these medieval instruments swear by them because they will stretch and sag to the shape of your bottom but there's no substitute for a properly fitted bike. As you get fitter and lose weight it will become easier - I weigh 76 kilos and I know that if I rode around with even a 10 kg rucsac my bum would be in agony after a few miles.
I've got half a dozen Brooks saddles on bikes, nary a one has 'sagged' (not even the 70's B5n) but then not everyone knows how to look after them correctly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Which probably means rubbing them with a waxy or oily water-repellent so as to protect them from becoming soaked?

Sorry.... I haven't go the time for that. I'm too busy sponging my bike down with milk of virgin Himalayan alpacas and buffing it with Bulgarian rose petals!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Which probably means rubbing them with a waxy or oily water-repellent so as to protect them from becoming soaked?

Sorry.... I haven't go the time for that. I'm too busy sponging my bike down with milk of virgin Himalayan alpacas and buffing it with Bulgarian rose petals!
No nothing so exotic but backing the tension nut off and putting a strap around the middle whilst they dry helps (have you noticed that leather boots/shoes shrink slightly after a soaking too)

woodbutcher

Veteran
I could bore you guys rigid with info about looking after leather seating arrangements more specifically looking after leather saddles for horse and rider.
These things can cost thousands so there are some products and procedures for keeping them in top condition which work just as well for leather bike saddles. If its of interest l would post a run down of stuff and how to use them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No nothing so exotic but backing the tension nut off and putting a strap around the middle whilst they dry helps (have you noticed that leather boots/shoes shrink slightly after a soaking too)

You're not serious? Why on Earth would I want to pay anything up to £185 for something that looks like it was beaten together in the same factory where medieval chastity belts were made, weighs half a kilo, won't be comfortable until it has sagged and needs me to fiddle around with an inaccessible nut then strap it up while it dries? I did buy a Swift once but was so shocked at the weight and crudeness and the immediate discomfort that I sold it straight on.

Charge Knife for me; no maintenance required, all weather, good for 100 miles or more, elegant, slim, 220 gms and £60: http://road.cc/content/review/69690-charge-knife-saddle

Top Bottom