Saddle Sore / Numbness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyMack

I've been cycling just under a month now after a very long lay off and at first the seat was certainly causing me issues, I started on just under 8 miles a day and am now doing 8 miles two days a week and 18 miles also twice a week, I gave a rest day in between rides and I can honestly say it has got easier, I don't know if this is because my bum is getting used to the saddle or I'm just getting better at blocking it out but it's certainly no where near as uncomfy as the first week.
Stick with it mate and you'll be fine in no time.

OP
OP
Stroke Survivor

Stroke Survivor

Regular
Which probably means rubbing them with a waxy or oily water-repellent so as to protect them from becoming soaked?

Sorry.... I haven't go the time for that. I'm too busy sponging my bike down with milk of virgin Himalayan alpacas and buffing it with Bulgarian rose petals!
Can I get those items on Ebay? Buggered if I can cycle to the Himalayas, or Bulgaria.

GuyBoden

Guru
If you get Saddle Sore, try having frequent breaks during your ride to relieve the pressure on your rear, the skin on your rear should harden over time.

It's also a good opportunity to get off your bike and walk around the countryside and take in the views. :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You're not serious? Why on Earth would I want to pay anything up to £185 for something that looks like it was beaten together in the same factory where medieval chastity belts were made, weighs half a kilo, won't be comfortable until it has sagged and needs me to fiddle around with an inaccessible nut then strap it up while it dries? I did buy a Swift once but was so shocked at the weight and crudeness and the immediate discomfort that I sold it straight on.

Charge Knife for me; no maintenance required, all weather, good for 100 miles or more, elegant, slim, 220 gms and £60: http://road.cc/content/review/69690-charge-knife-saddle

I had a charge spoon once. Most uncomfortable torture device I ever sat on. I say 'sat on' but it was so narrow it damn near sliced my arse in two.Yet many cyclists get on with them just fine.
I tried about 6 different 'modern' saddles, each having a couple hundred miles under my backside before finally giving in and purchasing a spa nidd leather b17 lookalike saddle for £40.
Near 2000 comfy miles out of that having given it a pereneal cut out. Then the nose piece fractured. It's warranty replacement was also easily made undercarriage friendly and that was comfy for about 1900 miles before the same nose piece issue surfaced again.
Then I bought a Brooks B17 for £50. Not £185. Again, easy to cut a hole to relieve pressure on sensitive areas without all the gel and stuffing leaking out. It's comfy. Straight from the box.
These unpadded, rough looking leather chastity belt knock offs that shriek at the sight of a raindrop (mines been soaked a few times and still hasn't died) even come with the all important saddle loops that enable proper saddle bags to be used. Something that the ultra lightweight carbonflubber reinforced unobtainium railed saddles that look like they escaped a Microsoft+Apple S&M swingers party mostly lack.
There's a huge following of these dinosaur age leather saddles among cyclists for good reason. They work.

*The Nidds crap nose piece has now been redesigned. My third warranty replacement is waiting in it's box in case the Brooks rails snap.

Last edited:
I had a charge spoon once. Most uncomfortable torture device I ever sat on. I say 'sat on' but it was so narrow it damn near sliced my arse in two.Yet many cyclists get on with them just fine.
I was the opposite, having tried various saddles, I saw the Charge spoon in my LBS, looked at it and though that will be so uncomfortable I was minded that by the look of it should be called Charge Knife, but once fitted I have found it to be so comfortable.

petek

Über Member
pashley-product-lifestyle-image-header-129980x490.jpg

Not for everyone but very comfy IMO.
Brooks B33 double sprung.
Avoid gel saddles - haemorrhoid magnets!

AndyMack

You'd get £50 for the copper scrap value alone for that ^_^

Alan O

Über Member
There's gel saddles and there's gel saddles. I've ridden them most of the last thirty years and no hemorrhoids yet. It's all about shape and getting the right shape for your bum as it sits on that bike.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with gel saddles, hammock saddles, sprung saddles, whatever saddles per se. Different saddles suit different bums, different bike types and different riding styles, and I think that's all there really is to it.

simongt

Guru
Just as an aside, love 'em or hate 'em, Brooks saddles have been around for a very long time. Of the B.17 for example, can any other cycle component boast of being in continuous production, unchanged for 119 years - ? And still selling well - ! :thumbsup:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
If you get Saddle Sore, try having frequent breaks during your ride to relieve the pressure on your rear, the skin on your rear should harden over time.

It's also a good opportunity to get off your bike and walk around the countryside and take in the views. :okay:
But what if you are a roadie?
Getting off the bike and risking your Strava sectional is strictly verboten.

Top Bottom