Saddle to replace my standard perch.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wolosp

I'm now a couple of months into my Specialized Diverge Sport and thinking of replacing the standard saddle with something more comfortable. As per a number of advice posts online, I measured my sitbones, and came up with 130mm, which (I am advised) should mean I should go for a saddle width of 150mm.
Now, the standard saddle on my bike is the Specialized Geometry Toupe Sport - width: 143mm (although measuring the saddle, I think that this is the overall width, not where my sitbone rest!), so it would seem that the standard saddle is too narrow for me. Specialized do make a wider version: 155mm.
My riding is leisure rather than performance, although I'm planning on taking part in the occasional Sportive.
A friend suggested a Brooks B17 Standard. Suitable for my bike? and worth the expence?

dim

Books C17 Cambium Carved .... I have one on my Giant TCR and it's very comfy aswell as waterproof, plus it has a 10 year guarantee:

http://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/cambium-c17-carved-2.html

cambium_c17_carved.jpg

measures 162mm wide

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Be really careful about spending an arm and a leg on a Brooks saddle. They do not suit everyone. I like them, but I have 2 screwed to the ceiling of my shed.

I have a Charge Pan on my touring bike and on my carbon road bike and they are great, even on 200km rides. They are good straight out of the box and cheap. I also have the Charge Spoon, which is good. But the Pan is slightly wider and I prefer it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm now a couple of months into my Specialized Diverge Sport and thinking of replacing the standard saddle with something more comfortable. As per a number of advice posts online, I measured my sitbones, and came up with 130mm, which (I am advised) should mean I should go for a saddle width of 150mm.
Now, the standard saddle on my bike is the Specialized Geometry Toupe Sport - width: 143mm (although measuring the saddle, I think that this is the overall width, not where my sitbone rest!), so it would seem that the standard saddle is too narrow for me. Specialized do make a wider version: 155mm.
My riding is leisure rather than performance, although I'm planning on taking part in the occasional Sportive.
A friend suggested a Brooks B17 Standard. Suitable for my bike? and worth the expence?

Did you go into your local specialized dealer and sit on their arseometer, if not I would suggest you do, they will then be able to tell you what width you need.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
a lot of people recommend the Charge spoon, they can be had for less than £20 so I gave it a shot. It suites me just fine, I'd have another in a shot. I have two Whyte bikes and the stock saddle they provide is also spot on for me (pretty much identical to the spoon). Try a Charge spoon, for sub £20 you can't go wrong and the success rate is pretty high.

dim

Be really careful about spending an arm and a leg on a Brooks saddle. They do not suit everyone. I like them, but I have 2 screwed to the ceiling of my shed.

I have a Charge Pan on my touring bike and on my carbon road bike and they are great, even on 200km rides. They are good straight out of the box and cheap. I also have the Charge Spoon, which is good. But the Pan is slightly wider and I prefer it.

the Brooks Cambium are not the 'old' Brooks saddles .... these are not made of leather that need hundreds of miles to 'break in', plus copius amounts of proofhide etc etc ....

they are made of waterproof rubber and are comfy straight out of the box plus they look very good

buy directly from Brooks .... if it does not suit you, send it back and get a full refund

an LBS in Cambridge were / are allowing people to use them on a trial basis with a deposit .... from what I have heard, the majority / most of the people who have tried them, have kept them

I'm well pleased with mine and will buy them again

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
B17 is a fine looking saddle and will suit any bike. But it is pricey and may not suit you. They do hold resale value well tho.

Charge spoon is cheap and both the B17 and it suit me so they may be similar.

Very hard to advise on this. Treat any and all recommendations with scepticism.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I get on far better with my B17n (narrow) than my standard B17, in fact it is the most comfy of the 5 different models I own.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
the Brooks Cambium are not the 'old' Brooks saddles .... these are not made of leather that need hundreds of miles to 'break in', plus copius amounts of proofhide etc etc ...mm

they are made of waterproof rubber and are comfy straight out of the box plus they look very good

buy directly from Brooks .... if it does not suit you, send it back and get a full refund

an LBS in Cambridge were / are allowing people to use them on a trial basis with a deposit .... from what I have heard, the majority / most of the people who have tried them, have kept them

I'm well pleased with mine and will buy them again
just to clarify. I like old Brooks saddles. But I have a Brooks arxe, many dont. I was just pointing out that there are cheaper, equally good saddles.

OP
OP
W

wolosp

Thanks for the replies. I did the 'foil sit bone check' on the stairs(!) and came up with 130mm, which when the additional 20mm was added as per the guide I read online, made the Charge Spoon a little too narrow, so I have decided to order a Charge Pan saddle.

Top Bottom