Saddle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

if you are having problems with your saddle, it's possibly because you don't cycle enough and your bum is not used to it

try a Brooks C17 Carved .... I have one on my Giant TCR .... looks good, comfy out of the box, and is waterproof with a 10 year guarantee

buy it from Brooks and if you don't get on with it, get a refund

brooks-cambium-c17-carved-saddle-black-EV230013-8593-10.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Is 300 miles enough to break in a new saddle?
3 miles imo is enough to know if it's comfy or not.
If it isn't comfortable changes are needed, no point in continuing with the same set up.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You really have to try saddles, don't buy on recommendations from other people. I agree with the other comment about a plastic saddle not needing any breaking in, it won't get better.

You mentioned Fizik... it's not clear on the website but did you know their dealers run a trial scheme where you pay 75 pounds deposit and you get a test saddle to try for an indefinite time? You can change it at any point and as often as you wish until you're happy. Once decided, you then just pay the difference for your chosen saddle (a brand new one, of course). Ask your local dealer if they participate. I'm currently trialling an Aliante versus, and glad I've not had to buy before trying!

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
You really have to try saddles, don't buy on recommendations from other people. I agree with the other comment about a plastic saddle not needing any breaking in, it won't get better.

You mentioned Fizik... it's not clear on the website but did you know their dealers run a trial scheme where you pay 75 pounds deposit and you get a test saddle to try for an indefinite time? You can change it at any point and as often as you wish until you're happy. Once decided, you then just pay the difference for your chosen saddle (a brand new one, of course). Ask your local dealer if they participate. I'm currently trialling an Aliante versus, and glad I've not had to buy before trying!

Oh wow I hadn't noticed that at all.

I will have a look.

Plastic saddles don't break in much if at all.

Saddles have to fit both rider and bike.

My bony backside rides unpadded, else padding puts pressure on soft bits, which is wrong. My road bike currently has a BrevM Sellino. My others have a Dawes GT, a Lycett mattress, a Selle Royal Maya (imperfect fit) and a Brooks Flyer (but its springs creak).

Worst saddle I've tried was a Spesh BG! Having since found out what a wrong headed company they are, I'm glad!
Just shows how botty specific the right saddle is...my mtb one is a ladies BG specialized...proper comfy

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster cheers for the advise on the Specialized saddles, a shop near my work has the butt measuring gizmo and they offer a 30 day saddle trial as well.
I will say that the most uncomfortable saddle I had was a specialized, the right width, just not the right shape and too hard. Did look good on the bike though being the perfect colour

Bontrager wsd saddles suit me best (in the size from the spesh ass measurement)

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I will say that the most uncomfortable saddle I had was a specialized, the right width, just not the right shape and too hard. Did look good on the bike though being the perfect colour

Bontrager wsd saddles suit me best (in the size from the spesh ass measurement)

they did say with the 30 day trial if I am not happy I can come back in for a model change or refund.

I am more tempted by the Fizik VS range for some reason, but again I haven't sat on one yet, they do have Fizik test saddles as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
they did say with the 30 day trial if I am not happy I can come back in for a model change or refund.

I am more tempted by the Fizik VS range for some reason, but again I haven't sat on one yet, they do have Fizik test saddles as well.
I bought online. Too many bikes with different saddles to make an assessment within 30 days of purchase

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I have been measured on the assometer and it looks as if the current saddle is too thin.

I am testing a Specialized Avartar Comp Gel Saddle 2016, and I was recommended a Fizik Antares if I wanted that brand.

The shop said if I swing by with the bike tomorrow they will fit it and make sure it's setup for me for free, he said after 30 days if I don't get on with it I can have a full refund or try another saddle.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I love Brooks saddles. I have 2 screwed to the ceiling of my workshop as I changed over to Charge Pan. The Charge Spoon is with the Brooks. All great saddles.

Top Bottom