Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

I'm not familiar with that type. I was thinking of something different. As you usually get with in-line posts. But it's ahod place to start.
I've found some more information. It appears I have to remove the seatpost to stop the two parts being clamped together, slacken the top bolts, tilt as required and retighten before putting the post back in. Will give it a bash.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Brooks every time.

So my new bike has a Fizik Aliante R5 saddle. I expect for some people it’s fine but for me it is a cause of great concern. Serious numbness in parts that I would like to continue to function.

Difficult to ask for recommendations really on what is such a personal choice. We’re all different. But I need to do something so thought I’d ask what people have done when experiencing the same issue.

I’m going to whip the Bontrager Sport saddle off my hybrid and try that as a short term fix as that saddle has been really good, even at the longer distances. It’s only a £20 saddle and it weights 350g compared with 245g for the unusable Fizik. So not too bad.

I’m wondering whether if that works as expected, if I should just get another one safe in the knowledge that the issue is solved or whether I should be shopping around for something a bit higher range.

The different position on a road bike compared to a hybrid may also be contributing but I feel a saddle with a cut out should avoid the issue I’ve been having.

If you are interested in saddles with a cut-out Selle SMP do a very good range.

I cannot recommend one though, although changing to a Selle worked very well for me when I started experiencing numbness and soreness around the perineum even though I had used my old saddle for years with no issues, because everyone's anatomy is slightly different.

There really is only one way to find out.

Corrected a la @Dogtrousers

Last edited:
PS were all different, but for what it's worth, mine is a San Marco Regal, on all 4 bikes. Was lucky that I bought a bike with one of these on it about 25 years ago and was the "Golden Ticket" for me.
You're double lucky if they didn't discontinue it in search of more margin pumped up by marketing bollocks. I also discovered my perfect saddle on a bike I bought - my case about 16 years ago. Would have been happy to put the same on all my bikes for the rest of my days but they got rid of it - too cheap. I managed to buy 2 or 3 others but p'ed off because I bust a brand new one by lifting a loaded bike by it to get it down some steps.
Now I'm reduced to haunting bikeshops and ebay looking for humble selle royal things that remind me of my lost satupon love.

Sharky

Guru
You're double lucky if they didn't discontinue it in search of more margin pumped up by marketing bollocks. I also discovered my perfect saddle on a bike I bought - my case about 16 years ago. Would have been happy to put the same on all my bikes for the rest of my days but they got rid of it - too cheap. I managed to buy 2 or 3 others but p'ed off because I bust a brand new one by lifting a loaded bike by it to get it down some steps.
Now I'm reduced to haunting bikeshops and ebay looking for humble selle royal things that remind me of my lost satupon love.
They still make the San Marco Regal. Quite rustic with large (false) brass rivets. Is /was quite popular in the pro ranks.

Slioch

Guru
The most comfortable saddle I've ever had was an unbranded one which came with a £250 cheapie from Halfords.

After that, a Charge Spoon has been very comfortable on rides up to 200km, although it took a bit of tweaking about to find the "sweet spot".

I don't think price gives you comfort. Cheap is just as good.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i have 2 spoons and they are great but the fabric scoop radius is more comfy i find although a bit more expensive .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Selle italia for me, you get what you pay for, Had a spoon on the commuter, comfy for about 6miles, as for a fizik 30 miles thats was it for me, sold it the following day. Brooks 6 years to break it in:laugh::laugh: But we are all different, I was lucky someone lent me a selle italia flight, suited me from the first time i sat on it.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Adjusted my saddle angle from +2.5 to -2.5 and just did a quick 10km. Definitely made a difference, especially considering my cycling shorts are in the wash (definitely now need a second pair). Will see how I get on with further before I do anything else.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Just goes to show (as with all saddle threads) how individual an issue this is. But I have a Fizik Alicante VS and I can't stand it (it bites / pinches into my sit bones), so I feel your pain.

I have a ten year old Brooks B17 on my tourer and a Selle Italia gel on another road bike, love them both. I utterly hate the Charge Spoon, I get that same pinching feeling that I do with the Fizik.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

After another 10km I think it's probably not a good saddle for me but changing the tilt has made it much more bearable, at least at short distances. Will see how I get on with a mid range ride over the weekend. Ultimately I expect to probably change it but it's perhaps not as urgent as I thought it was.

After another 10km I think it's probably not a good saddle for me but changing the tilt has made it much more bearable, at least at short distances. Will see how I get on with a mid range ride over the weekend. Ultimately I expect to probably change it but it's perhaps not as urgent as I thought it was.
I'd try a bit more experimeting with position before giving up on it. A saddle of mine felt like a knife, nearly did myself serious damage, but after some fiddling it became one of my most comfortable.

DRM

Guru
Selle italia for me, you get what you pay for, Had a spoon on the commuter, comfy for about 6miles, as for a fizik 30 miles thats was it for me, sold it the following day. Brooks 6 years to break it in:laugh::laugh: But we are all different, I was lucky someone lent me a selle italia flight, suited me from the first time i sat on it.
As well as the Spoon on my gravel bike, the other two road bikes have a Selle Italia SLR Team Edition with a cut out,and, a Selle Italia Nekkar Gel, both comfy

Top Bottom