Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Brooks every time.
Ah, but which one. I don't find my B17 that comfy, don't get me wrong it's OK but my B17n and B5n are more suited to my rear.

Of the others I own it'd be difficult to separate them in terms of 'long term' comfort as they're on bikes I don't ride for more than about 3 hours on those.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So my new bike has a Fizik Aliante R5 saddle. I expect for some people it’s fine but for me it is a cause of great concern. Serious numbness in parts that I would like to continue to function.

Difficult to ask for recommendations really on what is such a personal choice. We’re all different. But I need to do something so thought I’d ask what people have done when experiencing the same issue.

I’m going to whip the Bontrager Sport saddle off my hybrid and try that as a short term fix as that saddle has been really good, even at the longer distances. It’s only a £20 saddle and it weights 350g compared with 245g for the unusable Fizik. So not too bad.

I’m wondering whether if that works as expected, if I should just get another one safe in the knowledge that the issue is solved or whether I should be shopping around for something a bit higher range.

The different position on a road bike compared to a hybrid may also be contributing but I feel a saddle with a cut out should avoid the issue I’ve been having.

Get your sit bones measured (eg Bontrager do this and have a colour coded system for different widths which then applies across their range) and take it from there.

It really doesn't matter what anyone else finds comfortable unless their bum is pretty much identical to yours.

I have wasted an absolute fortune on trying different saddles. I think the best so far, but still not perfect is the Selle Italia Diva Gel flow so be as well just to stick with them.
I'd measure the key dimensions and then look for others that are similar. After that it's just a matter of an appropriate level of padding I think. And ones that are the right dimensions but prove too hard can be compensated for to a certain extent by different levels of clothing padding. Works, or eventually did, for me. Ebay can be good for experimenting with saddles - lots of barely used saddles - just sell on ones that prove unsuitable - via forums to cut sale fees.

(Diva a damn odd name - doesn't imply a relaxed ride to me - more like a histrionic death scene)

It really doesn't matter what anyone else finds comfortable unless their bum is pretty much identical to yours.
Praps in the interests of practical science and fellow forumite help a split-screen thread of saddles and arses should be started.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The most comfortable saddle I've ever had was an unbranded one which came with a £250 cheapie from Halfords.

After that, a Charge Spoon has been very comfortable on rides up to 200km, although it took a bit of tweaking about to find the "sweet spot".

I don't think price gives you comfort. Cheap is just as good.

Price means nothing with saddles. One of my most comfortable ones came off a skip Apollo MTB and was so battered I had to bind it up with duct tape to keep the padding inside. I think I've had 3 years out of it so far and the bike it came from was probably early 90's vintage.
Another good one I use on my Raleigh Royal is a Selle Italia touring job that came off a 99p eBay donor bike. I don't think I've actually ever bought a saddle by itself in well over 45 years of bike ownership. I've always used what came with a bike, or what I've swapped from another one. If I was purchasing one new I would take a punt on the Wittkop branded ones sold by Lidl in their cycling promotions. Despite them costing less than £8, I have had these recommended to me by three other riders who have bought them just to try because they were cheap enough, and then found they were better than much more expensive saddles!

MntnMan62

Über Member
I agree with the others who said saddles are a very personal thing. I used the stock saddle that came on my Motobecane (Taiwan) until I started seeing cracks in the outer casing. I then started reading lots of reviews online. I ended up settling on a Specialized Phenom Expert. One of the reviews I read indicated that it was the favorite saddle of a bunch of different riders in a comparison test. Other reviews on other sites were also mostly positive so I got it and put it on my road bike. Lately I've been wanting to get back on my mountain bike and the seat is also the original Schwinn seat that came with that bike. Since my butt seems to love this saddle, I didn't hesitate getting another one to put on the mountain bike. This way my butt doesn't have to get used to a different saddle on another bike. Now, the two most major contact points between me and my bikes, saddle and pedals, are the same on both bikes. I use Time ATAC Aliums on both and just wear mountain bike shoes no matter which bike I'm riding.

Phenom Expert | Specialized.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom