safe cycling on london roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
We've already had a 'yawn'

Sorry! How about a tumbleweed then? Can someone find the smiley for me? Have we had "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" yet?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
listen, cyclists are guests on the roads of london, very badly dressed guests that have no respect for themselves and those around them.

by all means jump the lights but if you get hit, its your fault.

Oooooh! Get her! I think our new friend needs the Dellzeqq treatment. Where did he put that letter that MCN didn't have the balls to publish?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
listen, cyclists are guests on the roads of london, very badly dressed guests that have no respect for themselves and those around them.

by all means jump the lights but if you get hit, its your fault.

You have lost what ever little credibility you may have had in that single sentence.
It doesn't take long for a troll to show their true colours does it.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Sorry! How about a tumbleweed then? Can someone find the smiley for me? Have we had "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" yet?

Zeds are fine, do please carry on.
tumbleweed.gif

Chrismawa

Über Member
LOL @ Guests. How deluded.

I've seen more Motorcyclists doing dangerous manoeuvres than cyclists!

Close the door on the way out....

Lizban

This is fun. Please post some more wide ranging trollesque statements.

However I like the phrase guests on the road, as long as it is applied to all road users.

(I'm also guilty of being badly dressed most of the time :blush: )

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Some of you will remember this

Ah me! There are few greater indignities than to be described as ‘searingly smug’ by MCN – or so I thought before realising that your editor had unwittingly bestowed extremely minor celebrity status upon me. So I’ll start with thanks – it’s not often you get to share a page with Ogri. That’s one for the scrap book.

I’ll further my mission to introduce MCN’s readership to the 21[sup]st[/sup] century by putting some flesh on the bones of the argument, which, lest we forget, is about London’s bus lanes, and the experiment currently underway to allow motorcycles in to some, but not all, of those bus lanes. It’s not about banning motorcycles, or cutting those silly humps off your backs, or even making you wash. It’s about bus lanes. That’s it.

I rather like motorbikes in bus lanes. They’re my personal snowploughs. They whizz along at about 30, I tuck in behind, car turns across the bus lane, motorcycle takes the hit. Simples. It doesn’t have to be bus lanes, of course. Going down the Embankment between two lines of traffic, you’ll see me wave some junior Agostini through. And, then, when some plank in a van does the clever thing, I’ll have ten metres or so to brake. As for towing – you’ve not lived until you’ve trailed a Lambretta from Vauxhall Bridge to the Tower of London.....

But that’s me. The sad cold truth is that most cyclists really don’t like motorcyclists in bus lanes. You can see their point. The cyclists are travelling at 12 or 15, and one of you lot steams past with inches to spare, lurching right, left, right from lane to lane, cutting through on the left hand side, all the while giving the impression of not giving a toss. Sometimes there’s a bit of recrimination at the next set of lights, which, given that there are twenty of us to one of you, could go badly, but, more likely, a cyclist decides to take the tube the next day.

And there you have it. That wasn’t the intention. You see, whether you like it or not, cyclists are in demand. We’re the answer to all those awkward questions. We cost next to nothing to keep. We don’t make lots of noise. We don’t needs lots of space. We get from A to B in good time. And, most of all, we don’t pollute the atmosphere. You lot, on the other hand, are not in demand. You make a lot of noise, your carbon footprint isn’t that much smaller than cars, and you’re forever finding new and inventive ways of killing yourselves, which puts people to a lot of trouble. And there’s another thing. There’s not many of you. Put bluntly, you’re electorally uninteresting. Whereas, put simply, we are.

So, Johnson aside, nobody’s really bothered that you want to ride with us in the bus lanes. The authorities desperately need us. Not you. I think we’ll have to put up with you until Johnson shuffles off to his Club, but, long term, don’t count on sticking around.

Is this fair? Possibly not. Life’s not fair. Cyclists don’t like being kept out of pedestrian areas, but, given that a lot of shoppers don’t fancy kids on BMXs whizzing around them, we’re just going to have to get used to it. It’s what the DfT calls the ‘hierarchy of provision’. Pedestrians first, cyclists second, the rest come after.

Of course there’s something bigger going on here. Some MCN readers think that city streets are about getting from A to B. Wrong, City streets have become about getting from A to B and that’s why a lot of them are a mess. Bit by bit the authorities are going to have to come around to the idea that city streets are public space and that they have to be nice places to be. And that’s going to be different for all of us – but that’s a way off. In the mean time we’ll be content to scrap over bus lanes. It’s a scrap we intend to win. And you can content yourself with being heroes on the Cat and Fiddle or the A29 – roads that actually ask something of motorcyclists.

Of course, as I steam down the A29 I think that that Ockley, the view from the top of Bury Hill, or the sausage roll at Hikers are all that bit better for being earned by my legs, heart and lungs rather than being the product of a bit of wrist-twiddling. That’s my thought for the day. Try it sometime.

Top Bottom