safe cycling on london roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
listen, cyclists are guests on the roads of london, very badly dressed guests that have no respect for themselves and those around them.

by all means jump the lights but if you get hit, its your fault.

LOL guests? You and all the other motor vehicle users are the guests, whilst cyclists, pedestrians, and horse riders are all there by right. Drivers and motorcyclists are guests you say? Yes, because you are using the road by privilege, not by right, and if you don't drive/ride well, tax, mot and insure your vehicle, and have a licence, that privilege will be taken away from you.

And yes, I'm sure you're a troll, probably a usual member signed up for a bit of fun.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
its just when cyclists insist on driving left across traffic to get to the right hand side.

LOL, oops, you are this: FAIL.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think we should all show our gratitude at being allowed as guests tolerated by bikers on the motorcycleways of London...particularly as I really don't remember a single thing about that compulsory Motorcycleway Code.

scouserinlondon

Although he's trolling Ash represents a view many other road users have of us. And as a road-using tribe cyclists don't so themselves any favours. Scaring him off the board and high fiving each other doesn't really help.

I think we need to take the higher ground and engage with other road users.

The 'guests on the road' point is complete bollocks in my view, though a lot of motorists think in this way. But RLJing cyclists are often a danger to themselves and others.

subaqua

What’s the point

Scouserinlondon.

below is a description of how CC works :tongue:

The experiment involved 5 monkeys, a cage, a banana, a ladder and, crucially, a water hose.

The 5 monkeys would be locked in a cage, after which a banana was hung from the ceiling with, fortunately for the monkeys (or so it seemed…), a ladder placed right underneath it.

Of course, immediately, one of the monkeys would race towards the ladder, intending to climb it and grab the banana. However, as soon as he would start to climb, the sadist (euphemistically called “scientist”) would spray the monkey with ice-cold water. In addition, however, he would also spray the other four monkeys…

When a second monkey was about to climb the ladder, the sadist would, again, spray the monkey with ice-cold water, and apply the same treatment to its four fellow inmates; likewise for the third climber and, if they were particularly persistent (or dumb), the fourth one. Then they would have learned their lesson: they were not going to climb the ladder again – banana or no banana.

In order to gain further pleasure or, I guess, prolong the experiment, the sadist outside the cage would then replace one of the monkeys with a new one. As can be expected, the new guy would spot the banana, think “why don’t these idiots go get it?!” and start climbing the ladder. Then, however, it got interesting: the other four monkeys, familiar with the cold-water treatment, would run towards the new guy – and beat him up. The new guy, blissfully unaware of the cold-water history, would get the message: no climbing up the ladder in this cage – banana or no banana.

When the beast outside the cage would replace a second monkey with a new one, the events would repeat themselves – monkey runs towards the ladder; other monkeys beat him up; new monkey does not attempt to climb again – with one notable detail: the first new monkey, who had never received the cold-water treatment himself (and didn’t even know anything about it), would, with equal vigour and enthusiasm, join in the beating of the new guy on the block.

When the researcher replaced a third monkey, the same thing happened; likewise for the fourth until, eventually, all the monkeys had been replaced and none of the ones in the cage had any experience or knowledge of the cold-water treatment.

Then, a new monkey was introduced into the cage. It ran toward the ladder only to get beaten up by the others. Yet, this monkey turned around and asked “why do you beat me up when I try to get the banana?” The other four monkeys stopped, looked at each other slightly puzzled and, finally, shrugged their shoulders: “Don’t know. But that’s the way we do things around here”…

PBancroft

<br />listen, cyclists are guests on the roads of london, very badly dressed guests that have no respect for themselves and those around them.<br /><br />by all means jump the lights but if you get hit, its your fault.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Absolutely agree* - other road users own the roads, and cyclists are the guests. Motorcyclists never run red lights, speed, dress "inappropriately" or ride with a blatant disregard for the safety of themselves and others. Car drivers are entirely immune as well.

It's those bloody cyclists, always in the way, and they shouldn't even be there! Why don't they pay road tax!?! They should have number plates too, that's the only way they'll be accountable - never seen a car driver commit any offence have you? You know why too - registration. Then, and only then do they have any right to be there. Until then, if I happen to hit one its their fault, not mine.

,¦,,

* This is a lie.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Lol

That's the way to get rid of road accidents - ban cyclists! Once we get those pesky 12kg machines going at 10 mph off the roads accident and injury stats must surely go to zero!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Lol

That's the way to get rid of road accidents - ban cyclists! Once we get those pesky 12kg machines going at 10 mph off the roads accident and injury stats must surely go to zero!

And pedestrians! And jay-walking squirrels! And trees!

brokenbetty

Über Member
And pedestrians! And jay-walking squirrels! And trees!

I want a "ban trees! They are a danger to bad drivers" t shirt :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And let's not start on those weird laid back deckchair contraptions that clog up the roads for the humble motorists ^^^
whistling.gif

You laugh, but some Frenchmen wanted to cut down all the trees along a country road because they kept crashing into them. Srsly.
They did. :sad: There are very few trees along the D661 now... But on other roads you can still spot the delightfully quaint ARBRES INCLINANTES warning sign.

Top Bottom