Sainsbury's Lorry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

In cheltenham there was a quite wide, quiet road with a painted on cycle lane which had a couple of pinch points. Bothe the cycle lane and the road lane went through the pinch point at reduced width; both, quite literally, narrower than their respective vehicles. A perfectly safe nice cycle road turned into a death trap by addition of cycle lanes

I am not a fan of white line cycle lanes , had plenty incidents like in the video .

Sara_H

Guru
I once got some horrible abuse from a driver because I was riding in primary on a road similar to this. At the lights she furiously ranted at me for not riding in the cycle lane..
Cycle lanes like this just make life harder for cyclists as drivers can get a bit road rage if you choose not to use them.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4751734, member: 45"]When contacted by The Sun, A Sainsbury’s spokeswoman said: “We’d like to provide a reassurance that this incident is being treated very seriously. Our drivers receive extensive safety training and we are now reviewing the footage and investigating.”[/QUOTE]

One hopes their social media pilots will also receive some extensive training.

@PeteXXX will probably be familiar with the cycle lane in Billing Road, Northampton, which for about a mile is in the door zone of marked parking bays. Really clever that one.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
To be fair, I frequently encounter Sainsbury's trucks on one of my regular routes and their drivers often manage close passes without the benefit of a painted white line to squeeze up to.

Fully agree about crap infrastructure though - far too much of it, I suspect simply so they can say they've provided provision for cycles when all they've really done is paint a line on the road. A particular favourite is where a cycle lane / ASL have been added at traffic lights simply by taking space out of the existing lane - which now isn't wide enough for a car...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
You expect the official company line from a supermarket to be from someone with "particular special qualifications or training in road safety matters"?

If they're representing a national organisation, and wish to be seen with any credibility, then yes.

The person that made the statement presumably doesn't, and have made Sainsbury's look like chumps as a consequence.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not more cycle lanes, more segregated cycling infrastructures :smooch:

Ah yes, where you have to give way (or dismount) for every side road and driveway and get road raged at if you dare to remain on the road. Yes, let's have more of that

ozboz

Guru
That was bad ,
I have had a run in with Sainsburys because of their HGV drivers , not the same as this but they were instantly defensive and the response was utter crap , the Manager was condescending and incredibly abrupt , until I informed him video footage etc would be sent to Richmond Council , he backed off and the problem went away ,
I had a Bentley cut into me on a left hand bend in Chiswick last week , it was about 6 inches away from my bars at its closest, the car was going way to fast ,and the driver unaware of the danger they had imposed, but alas no cam , I am thinking of getting one ,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ah yes, where you have to give way (or dismount) for every side road and driveway and get road raged at if you dare to remain on the road. Yes, let's have more of that
If designed properly, it's no worse than the carriageway for that - if a motorist sticks the nose of their vehicle into the carriageway, you're giving way or you're colliding, regardless of any painted markings - we've seen enough posts about that on these forums. At least on protected infrastructure, you should have the option of crossing behind the scofflaw. If built properly, cycle tracks are an easier ride for bikes and not forever getting potholes chewed into them by ever heavier motorists. But this is an argument we've had often before and I think everyone would agree that cycle lane is substandard crap, so why try to restart that disagreement here?

RRCC

Guru
A road near where I live is like that, possibly even narrower cycle lane, and then it goes up the left hand side of a left turn only lane.
Bad cycle facilities are more dangerous than none.

ForestCycle

The key question is, would the driver be that close to the cyclist; if he was undergoing a driving assessment by Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons?

Clearly he would not, the driver should have waited until the traffic islands abated, then he could pass with more space.

Top Bottom