Salt vs. Soy Sauce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Well, I eat anchovies straight from the tin too. But, i don't mash them up then leave them lying around for months and then eat them from the tin, do I?

Now I want a bloody mary. Rubbish.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Rhythm Thief said:
I used to go to Whitby every year with my family when I was little. Does that count?

No, I guess not. You just lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
I crave salt, because my mother was brought up in a fishing village.

But surely 1 cubic centimetre of soy sauce is 5 times less worse than 1 cubic centimeter of salt?
That would only be the case if it was 20% salt. But it's probably more, so 1 cc of soy sauce is probably worse than 0.2cc of salt.

Rhythm Thief said:
Certainly I do. I'm still off the fags though.:biggrin:

'spose, if I can justify 'accidentally' putting the butter in the fridge so i'll be unable to spread it and will therefore 'have to' have a slice of it on toast due to not smoking, then you can justify drinking worcester sauce due to not smoking.

col

Legendary Member
Wasnt there a big hoo ha about an additive in soy sauce,that was a bit dangerous,some time ago?was it colouring ,i cant remember?

Pete

Reading this thread, I thought I'd have a quick rummage throught the kitchen cupboard and read the labels on all the various soy sauce brands we have around. I found plenty of bottles, but the only one which explicitly quantifies sodium is the superior organic Tamari (from Japan) with 6.3% (this compares with 40% sodium in pure salt). The RDA for sodium is about 2.4g so to play by the rules, you don't want more than about 35ml of the stuff per day - that is, about two tablespoons. That seems quite generous, but remember this represents your entire recommended sodium intake - assuming you consume nothing else with salt in it, at all.

But most people - most Western people that is - probably exceed their RDA in sodium, it's so easy to do so and difficult to avoid salt especially in manufactured food.

As for me - well, plenty else to worry about, so why bother? We use quite a lot of soy sauce in meals but not every day.

To my mind, if you really want to watch the salt, don't put a salt cellar out on the dinner table. We never do, we put out a pepper mill but no salt, so no-one bothers to sprinkle salt on a meal which should be adequately salted already. We do however put a soy sauce bottle out if the meal is a 'chinese' type, and we then help ourselves from that, so you can't win...:blush::tongue:

Top Bottom