sandblast and powdercoat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
anyone know where i can get a sandblast and a powdercoat in manchester? (not for me but for my frame)

Also would be good if they could stick some track ends on too ;)

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
found http://www.atlantic-boulevard.co.uk/ in Bury, much closer than Bob Jacksons.
Anyone got any even closer to Manchester ideally in Manchester?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm - Atlantic might be my choice as they seem pretty much able to cope with anything including classics.

The other thing is you could drop your frame into Rick Greens in Handforth, or Wills Wheels (Bardsleys) in Stockport - but both will send the frames away.

I've dealt with both shops for years - Will sorted out my repaint of my MTB some years back. - That was a tough powdercoat. Don't foget, powdercoat isn't as nice a finish as enamel but it is tougher.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
been reading through some other posts regarding powder coats and resprays. Seems the tougher of the two is a powdercoat, both atlantic and bob jacksons do resprays and are quite expensive for what i want.

I have an old carlton criterium that i really like (feels really nice to ride) but its old and probably no the best tubing, now I dont want to spend £100+ on a respray for a bike that i will be using to commute all year round. I have seen that some people have got a powdercoat from a non cycle specific place that do shot blasting and powdercoats. Any one had this done in Manchester anywhere. I will look through the yellow pages but does anyone have any recommendations?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Neil Orell on hollinwood ave will do your track ends for a very reasonable price. Also, if you go to [blatant plug] my mates new shop, gbh cycles just off tibb street in the 'northern quarter'[/blatant plug] and ask gav or rob to sort you out with a powder coat you won't be dissapointed. i wasn't.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
yes stoke would be too far. is PCT the primary care trust?

Dan_bo do you have a number for Neil Orrel? the one i found on the interwebby seems to not accept incoming calls :angry:

Also do you have a number for your mates new shop, cant find them on the internetty

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
neil's 681 1517

GBH...... leave it with me i'll get back to you tomorrow my lady's fell asleep on my lap and i can't move :biggrin:

kosmo

Good thread. First timer on this forum.

Got a really good vibe off the 2 guys at GBH when i visited for the first time recently.
They quoted me £40 for frame powdercoat IF I DO THE STRIP, IE STRIP MY BIKE TO THE BARE BONES. which i think is competitive. Tho i recall they told me, they only send off when they have 10 frames job lot, to a stove enamelg place in Mossley, where, YES, they DO sandblast first, all in the price.

QUERY: I'm not too techy when it comes to bikes but... been wondering...
With regard to the threaded 'holes' (what are they called? anyone?) on the fork ends, that take bolts for attaching racks/mudguards...

When the frame gets resprayed, presumably these get clogged up and so will need the threads 're-tapping'?? which is what GBH told me happens to the bottom bracket thread (which they, ie GBH, DO retap 4U, all as part of the price/service)?

My query is,,, doesn't this 'retapping' risk paint CHIPPING off --> hence presumably providing a starting point for that dreaded metal-cancer ie RUST ---> hence paint flaking eventually? (which is why i want my frame painted in the first place?) Or is it done while the paint is still 'soft' or someat, so preventing it chipping??

Any advice anyone?
Kosmo
Cheers John for putting me on to this site :angry:

Anyone got any knowledge, based upon EXPERIENCE re this (rather than opinion, pls)?

Aint Skeered

I paint a lot of frames, and just mask off the threaded areas.
The paint should be soft enough anyway, to tap the threads out without damaging the paintwork.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
had a chat with the guys there and they should be ready to send frames off in about 2 weeks , so 12th may or there abouts. Takes about 20 days to get the frames back.

The more the merrier so get your bike in for a new coat if it needs it and you are in MCR!!!

Top Bottom