Saris Bones Solo and Car Compatibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just seen how cheap THESE carriers are and I'm now contemplating taking my bike with me to Northumberland later this year, but the Saris website doesn't state if it's compatible for our actual car.

I have used the Saris contact us form but thought I'd see if anyone here was using one, had any advice about the product, and if by any chance was in fact using one on the same car, long shot perhaps I know.

The car is a late 2015 PEUGEOT 208 5 door hatchback. I can't see why it wouldn't fit TBH but I need to make sure before pulling the trigger regardless of how inexpensive it seems.

T.I.A. :okay:

D

Deleted member 23692

Did you try the compatibility checker? https://www.saris.com/catalog/racks

D

Deleted member 23692

I don't use one myself but when I was looking at them the following fitment notes put me off...
  • Disable/do not use rear wiper when rack is installed.
  • Bike may contact vehicle. Pad as needed. Recommended: Protect-O-Pads Part #2060

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I don't use one myself but when I was looking at them the following fitment notes put me off...
  • Disable/do not use rear wiper when rack is installed.
  • Bike may contact vehicle. Pad as needed. Recommended: Protect-O-Pads Part #2060
Yeah I've just read that but I wouldn't expect to be able to use the wiper anyway and the second bit is just them covering their @rse innit :okay:

A lot of new cars (especially the so called low emissions & economical ones) utilise recycled plastic on the back end and although you can fit a tailgate mounted rack on the back, there is no guarantee l be strong enough to safely carry a bike.
I tried contacting saris two years ago. Still waiting for a reply.

Brains

Legendary Member
There is a reason why outside of the UK you never see these string and wire type of cycle racks, whilst they are not actually illegal in the EU (other than in Germany), they will get you pulled in Italy, they are not something you could actually buy in the French or Dutch version of Halfords.
But you get what you pay for, and this type if rack is undoubtedly cheap.

The rest of the EU uses ball mounted racks, of a similar design to this one
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/thule-rideo...|pcrid|67090793342|pkw||pmt||prd|5360358176uk
If you can, get a ball mounted one, if it's looked after it will last as long as a bike so a lot longer than the life of a few cars as you can move it from car to car.
So its cheaper in the long run

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Cheaper in the long run? You did not factor in the cost of a towbar on each car.

I got a reply within 3 days to be fair, however their reply was no it wasn't compatible yet their 'fit giude' HERE says it is?!?!?!

I've sent a reply pointing this out and seeking clarification so I'll have to just see what they come back with...........................
It's an American company. I don't think they are very up to date with new european cars.

RMurphy195

Cheaper in the long run? You did not factor in the cost of a towbar on each car.

Or the electrics (which you might need anyway), or the inevitable depreciation that fitting a towbar will cause, or, indeed, whether the OP is allowed to fit a towbar to the car. Many car variants have a zero towing limit, so a towbar cannot legally be fitted.

RMurphy195

There are actually relatively few cars with a European Whole Vehicle Type Approval that does not include the ability to fit a towbar. Those without are mainly the small 'city cars' which you wouldn't want to tow with anyway.

But you might erroneously think it's OK to fit one to hold a bike carrier! If it's a consideration when buying a car, look carefully at the towing limits for the differing variations. When we looked last year some variants of the Fiesta and Fabia for example had a zero limit, varying from the economy stop/start versions to the sports variants.

But you might erroneously think it's OK to fit one to hold a bike carrier! If it's a consideration when buying a car, look carefully at the towing limits for the differing variations. When we looked last year some variants of the Fiesta and Fabia for example had a zero limit, varying from the economy stop/start versions to the sports variants.

But is carrying a bike on a tow bar mounted rack towing? Unless I've forgotten my school physics, the forces are different.

Top Bottom