Saris Bones Solo and Car Compatibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RMurphy195

They might well be, but that isn't the point.

If the vehicle is not approved or constructed to accept a towing bracket then it is illegal to fit one, even if you can find one to fit a different version of the car. And then there's the resale to consider - if I purchase a vehicle, used, that I know should not have a towbar fitted, and it has one or shows signs of having had one, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - and neither should anyone else.

Such a fitting may also have a detrimental effect on your vehicle insurance, leading to all sorts of trouble. Best avoided.

EDIT - maybe not quite right on the legal bit (maybe some further research?), but my other comments apply. http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk/typeapproval.htm

Brains

Legendary Member
The bottom line is you would not buy a car that is not suitable for your requirements.
If one of the requirements is to move bikes, then you ensure it has a tow bar fitted, or can have one fitted.
I did briefly have a car in the late 1980's without a tow bar, but every car I've ever owned, bar one, has had a tow bar.
For me it's one of the basics that a car must have. If it didn't or couldn't then I'd not buy the car.

Jimidh

Veteran
I've used a Saris bones 3 on a number of different cars without any issue - they got really easily and can bikes are very secure on the back.

Have moved onto a Thule roof bar system now but have retained the Saris for the odd club event when we need more bikes transported.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm using a Saris Bones 2 on a Saab convertible - and it fits fine. Whilst I'm always thinking the bike isn't secure it always is; my Ridgeback was on the car from Dewsbury to Paris and back (for PBP).

gaijintendo

Veteran
I grabbed one of these from Rutland for £28 delivered.

My observations pre-use:
The top of my boot has a spoiler, so it isn't as simple s I had hoped to fit - you feed the cables in from the side.
The carrier obscures my regular wide license plate, with no bike attached..
The carrier has sufficient loose bits of strap that you really want to be using it for one-offs and not being left on for weeks on end.

Of note, it has a little cup and strap to hold the pedal nearest the car in position, I think that will be strapped to the rack itself, so your bike should be fairly stable.

I need to get it on and have a go - it started raining, but I was planning on putting a couple of strips of Heli Tape on the boot tonight.

Top Bottom