Sat nav maps question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Does anybody know if you can download free maps ? I've a old TomTom and wanted to put mapping of Italy on it.Thanks

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Not sure if it will work on tomtom but is for most GPS devices
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have free maps for the life of my Tomtom, however I had an email saying that my tomtom will no longer be able to get anymore new map upgrades. So I wasn't exactly told the truth.

My Tomtom is virtually useless now as my maps are 18 months out of date.and the only thing I can do is buy a new one with a 20 percent discount for £129. No thanks.

Waze is a good ap to use, and it is free as well. My son used it in Italy and he was very impressed with it.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have free maps for the life of my Tomtom, however I had an email saying that my tomtom will no longer be able to get anymore new map upgrades. So I wasn't exactly told the truth.
I have the similar issue with a Garmin, it had updates for life, but after an software update it no longer sees the USB port to be able to update any maps, although if I connect it to a Linux PC I can read & write files to it, but using a Windows PC or a Mac it's not detected. I think it's deliberate, but clearly cannot prove it.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I too got the email about my Tom Tom not being able to get new maps, apparently due to storage space to the internal memory. Life could have been made simpler by having a micro sd slot for that purpose but that is too easy. What it is all about is making money, if things were too reliable no one would need to upgrade. That goes with all things electrical and electronic. Lifetime downloads, lifetime guarantee, I may live to a 100 but the device will be lucky to see 3-5 years. I won`t buy a new Tom tom so they have snookered themselves really. Perhaps I`ll plug mine in to my Linux pc and give it a go.

My Tomtom is virtually useless now as my maps are 18 months out of date.and the only thing I can do is buy a new one with a 20 percent discount for £129. No thanks.

My Garmin has maps that are 9 years out of date, no problems really apart from the odd junction not existing but then good old road signs are your friend.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
My Tom Tom has been fine although 2 years out of date. It only came unstuck at the new junction at Bramton Hut recently but I just followed the others ! Mind you there have been times with the Tom Tom that have shown me driving along a field and not the road. We always carry a map anyway but it does get in the way of the windscreen ! When I think back though of driving in the past before sat navs it was never a problem. If I had route to drive I`d right it down before hand and refer to it as necessary. The problem is now that there because there is that much more traffic about and everyone is driving faster you hav`nt got time to think so you rely on the satnav. I still use the sun for directions !

Top Bottom