Satisfying jobs - add a pair of images

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I stripped the whole thing back to a good structure and started again . It took most of the summer on and off and i think i got 15 coats of varnish mixed with pure turps on the foredeck .
Nice job!
Lifelong boaty person here.
Tell me about your boat please. Make? Year? Engine?
Anything else interesting?

Nice job!
Please, this thread is for discussing silver.

(joke, obviously)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Nice job!
1962 Meleville marine race boat , 7 made and i have no7 . I spoke to the last living person that worked at the yard and she was so happy to hear that one boat was about to be refurbed . She chatted for ages about the good times at the builders yard .
This one was bought by one of the clock gang ( a radio program ) The story is he bought it to island hop in Scotland but fell overboard on the first time out so garaged it . It was found when he died and brought back to the mainland where it was bought by an enthusiast . His wife gave him shoot about another boat so he sold it to me .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
This thread has got me thinking . I seem to be thinking about stuff i have done years ago and have photos of but nothing recent . Hmmmmmm

Oldfentiger

Veteran
1962 Meleville marine race boat , 7 made and i have no7 . I spoke to the last living person that worked at the yard and she was so happy to hear that one boat was about to be refurbed . She chatted for ages about the good times at the builders yard .
This one was bought by one of the clock gang ( a radio program ) The story is he bought it to island hop in Scotland but fell overboard on the first time out so garaged it . It was found when he died and brought back to the mainland where it was bought by an enthusiast . His wife gave him shoot about another boat so he sold it to me .
I never heard of Meleville before. Nice looking craft though. Thanks for the info.
I had something similar back in the 80s - a Tremlett sports boat, constructed in hot mounded cross laminated marine ply (nicely varnished and polished). 60hp Johnson on the back. Used it as a ski boat.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I never heard of Meleville before. Nice looking craft though. Thanks for the info.
I had something similar back in the 80s - a Tremlett sports boat, constructed in hot mounded cross laminated marine ply (nicely varnished and polished). 60hp Johnson on the back. Used it as a ski boat.
This is ply . I think if i could get hold of it i could pick it up its so light . It had a 60HP seagull to start with so i'm told . I tried it with a modern Merc 25 and shoot myself . Ive never been so fast on the water . Now run it with a nice little 8 on the Thames .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I hope you respect the speed limit on the tideway :smile:
Interesting you mention that and i think it's from a rowers point of view ? Yes i do always keep to the speed limits and slow down for smaller craft ( not that i ever go fast on the Thames )
The only people i have seen ignoring their wash or the speed limit constantly is the people following the rowers in the craft under power .

Before...
image.jpeg

After...
image.jpeg

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've spent a satisfying few minutes buying a couple of as-new ex-display Mongoose bikes for the girls for Christmas. £240 for the pair. Only problem is, they're in Chatham, so a roadtrip is in the offing. I could get the (not so) little herberts to ride them back, but that'd spoil the surprise... :whistle:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
So, it is working well again and I am feeling pleased with myself. TBH, the end of the CCFL light was pretty charred so I would not be surprised if it failed again but hopefully it will work for another few years. If/when it does fail again, I will probably remove the lid/screen of the laptop and use what is left as a small desktop computer connected to an old external monitor that I have in the attic room.

New screens are about £40, so might be worth repairing again. I've got two screens gathering dust, but they're LED, although you can buy conversion leads. Mad Scientist broke the screen on her Dell hand-me-down, so I replaced it. Then the screen went black again out of the 3 month warranty, so I bought a new one, but it turned out to be the mainboard. So I got her an ex-lease Dell Inspiron - metal framed, so it's bombproof! You can't beat Dells for servicability...

I might make one of those magic mirror things - stick a screen behind a one-way mirror and use a Raspberry Pi to run a clock behind it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New screens are about £40, so might be worth repairing again. I've got two screens gathering dust, but they're LED, although you can buy conversion leads. Mad Scientist broke the screen on her Dell hand-me-down, so I replaced it. Then the screen went black again out of the 3 month warranty, so I bought a new one, but it turned out to be the mainboard. So I got her an ex-lease Dell Inspiron - metal framed, so it's bombproof! You can't beat Dells for servicability...
True, but I have seen complete working Dell D430s like this one on eBay for about £60 so it seems hardly worth splashing out that much for a new screen!

It would be money that I could put towards the next laptop ... :whistle:

Blimey, I just found a D430 in Manchester for less than £20, less hard drive! I have my old HDD from when I replaced it with an SSD. I feel tempted to buy the Manchester one and stick the HDD in it. The drive has Win XP on it and that is still a legitimate copy because I bought Win 7 for the SSD.

The keyboard on the Dell is fantastic - almost as good as my favourite desktop keyboards. I might keep it just for typing long documents on, assuming that I don't like the keyboard on a new laptop as much. I am not very comfortable sitting at a desk these days (since FUBARing the circulation in my left leg in 2012) so I usually put the leg rest up on my sofa, stretch out, and use the laptop, er, on my lap!

Top Bottom