Satisfying jobs - add a pair of images

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some labour I am currently undertaking ....
IMG_20160919_203912.jpg
IMG_20160919_215745.jpg

(this thing is from a Victorian pub, I think. It's quite large - 46 cm/18" in length)

[QUOTE 4473256, member: 9609"]does it have a chin strap and meet EN1078 ?[/QUOTE]
It's Victorian. If it was a helmet it would have a spike or brush or something on top.

eg
8be21924421d8893e3fcaef876e98618.jpg

Edit; Oh, I want one for riding. If a car pulls in front of you, your last act would be stabbing the driver.

Nice, Silver or Plate (EPNS) ?
I have no idea. I think they belonged to my great grandmother who (I think) was briefly the publican at The Beehive Hotel in the latter days of Victoria's reign. These were something she kept. There must be a few of them, as we have three (all very different) and my aunt has a couple. But my aunt's (and thus also my father's) cousins presumably have some too.

I'm polishing them up to find their value. I can't see any hallmark, but they are big, so I might be missing that. I'm assuming it was plate, because a pub wouldn't have pure silver. If it was silver, I bet I could calculate it's value by weighing it.

Do you know how to tell the difference, barring hallmarks?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have no idea. I think they belonged to my great grandmother who (I think) was briefly the publican at The Beehive Hotel in the latter days of Victoria's reign. These were something she kept. There must be a few of them, as we have three (all very different) and my aunt has a couple. But my aunt's (and thus also my father's) cousins presumably have some too.

I'm polishing them up to find their value. I can't see any hallmark, but they are big, so I might be missing that. I'm assuming it was plate, because a pub wouldn't have pure silver. If it was silver, I bet I could calculate it's value by weighing it.

Do you know how to tell the difference, barring hallmarks?

One word, a name in fact "Archimedes"

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm polishing them up to find their value.
I thought the rule was not to polish things like that as it devalues them?

One word, a name in fact "Archimedes"
yeah I could do that. But that would require a way to measure the displaced volume of water, a scale that can accurately weigh an object of that size (kitchen scales won't cut it and bathroom scales aren't accurate enough, and the atomic mass of silver and all possible materials it is made of. And still getting the house cleared of the 55 years of marriage in the next two weeks.

Thanks. A genuinely useful suggestion, but not going to happen this time.

Anyway have a 3 minute fix? :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
yeah I could do that. But that would require a way to measure the displaced volume of water, a scale that can accurately weigh an object of that size (kitchen scales won't cut it and bathroom scales aren't accurate enough, and the atomic mass of silver and all possible materials it is made of. And still getting the house cleared of the 55 years of marriage in the next two weeks.

Thanks. A genuinely useful suggestion, but not going to happen this time.

Anyway have a 3 minute fix? :smile:

Displaced volume of water - jug, or kitchen scales (1g per cm3).
Weight of item - if kitchen scales won't do, then a balance made of a broomstick - weighed against a jug of water drop by drop.
And only need to know the density (not atomic mass - that'd be for gases) of silver - the result will be under (or less likely over) if it's not pure-ish silver.

Or try a magnet on it - if it sticks - it ain't silver !
If it doesn't stick could still be brass though

I thought the rule was not to polish things like that as it devalues them?
yeah, I wondered about that after I was halfway through. I know tarnished copper is valued in it's own right, but tarnished silver?

Unfortunately, the high-end auction house in Melbourne charges £100/hour to look at your stuff. And while there is some genuinely fabulous stuff here, we are peasant stock, and it wasn't high end originally, so we could end up losing if we engage them.

Later I'll share some would carving done by my great-aunt. It's mystifyingly beautiful. I think she did it at school, where my skills were simple embroidery, 3 different stitches.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
how do I do this? It's a half a metre long, so the only thing I have I could immerse it in is a bathtub and I can't catch the water overflowing from that. Or am I being thick?
how do I do this? It's a half a metre long, so the only thing I have I could immerse it in is a bathtub and I can't catch the water overflowing from that. Or am I being thick?

as it appears symmetrical, could you dunk half of it in a brimful bucket ? The overflow into a bowl or tray is then your volume

Do the magnet thing first though, as if it's steel, that's that.

Top Bottom