Satisfying jobs - add a pair of images

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
how do I do this? It's a half a metre long, so the only thing I have I could immerse it in is a bathtub and I can't catch the water overflowing from that. Or am I being thick?
Would it fit in one of these? You could make a small hole in the side near the top to let the water out...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
dunno about Australia but plate is worth almost as much as solid, depends on the quality of workmanship as to value. Any hallmark (or EPNS) mark will be near the rim or on the handle usually.
Silver should always be polished, the only metal thing that shouldn't be touched is Bronze.

BTW anyone else know why Silver (or silver plate) was used for these meat covers.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Really? Certainly not at scrap value - and it would have to be very fine quality work for plate to worth anywhere near even half decent solid silver work.
I'd take it that @jefmcg isn't planning on 'weighing em in' if she's going to the trouble of polishing them. :whistle:
Anyway they are 'Family pieces' so any value would just be for insurance purposes.

Nibor

Bewildered
dunno about Australia but plate is worth almost as much as solid, depends on the quality of workmanship as to value. Any hallmark (or EPNS) mark will be near the rim or on the handle usually.
Silver should always be polished, the only metal thing that shouldn't be touched is Bronze.

BTW anyone else know why Silver (or silver plate) was used for these meat covers.
or pewter

winjim

Smash the cistern
yeah I could do that. But that would require a way to measure the displaced volume of water, a scale that can accurately weigh an object of that size (kitchen scales won't cut it and bathroom scales aren't accurate enough, and the atomic mass of silver and all possible materials it is made of. And still getting the house cleared of the 55 years of marriage in the next two weeks.

Thanks. A genuinely useful suggestion, but not going to happen this time.

Anyway have a 3 minute fix? :smile:
X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy :okay:

Nibor

Bewildered
Is it because of its naturally antiseptic qualities?
Because it is posh and Purdy

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I wish they still made Skodas in that colour, I loved mine :sad:

(Nice deck btw)
Ta!
I bought the cheapest possible model - choice of colour was therefore red, white or blue!

The above was my third deck. My first was a pair, first pic shows the quarter circle one done (it was just builders paving slabs like the ones on the left of the pic to start with), second shows round deck as well, plus pond. Making decking is very satisfying - converting a load of wood and screws into something useful.
DSC00813.JPG

DSC01141.JPG

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Ta!
I bought the cheapest possible model - choice of colour was therefore red, white or blue!

The above was my third deck. My first was a pair, first pic shows the quarter circle one done (it was just builders paving slabs like the ones on the left of the pic to start with), second shows round deck as well, plus pond. Making decking is very satisfying - converting a load of wood and screws into something useful.
View attachment 144558

View attachment 144559
I like the small pond.

Top Bottom