Satisfying jobs - add a pair of images

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I may have posted these before :whistle:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 4474535, member: 76"]Hot spoon, bees wax, Kiwi polish.

No Morello :stop:[/QUOTE]
The holy shiny trininty

simon.r

Person
There is no way that thing is silver. Silver would be as soft as aluminium foil on an item like that. It is steel or brass plated with nickel and then with silver, aka EPNS. Very little "silver" is in fact silver. Certainly no cutlery or utility plates.

There's lots of silver cutlery about, with the exception of knives, which generally have steel blades.

Edit - a modern example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371721690028

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That's a nice shed - looks more solid than many. Is that blue stuff in the first pic insulation?

No, that's the roof. The stuff to the left is a new kitchen that was going in that day.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
What's infuriating is I bought the shed before I started my new job which includes supplying shed companies. I now know a hell of a lot more about it and there are so many things wrong with that shed that I might replace it in a couple of years.

There's lots of silver cutlery about, with the exception of knives, which generally have steel blades.

Edit - a modern example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371721690028
Thanks for that link.

I want to research this a bit. I am skeptical that a fork for instance, made in pure silver, is strong enough. I used to do a bit of silver soldering and although the rods were of an silver alloy, they were certainly soft - too soft for fork tines. That set in your link has a pure silver mass of 3kgs, I think the entire set will weigh much more, indicating some steel in there and more than just the knife blades. I'm mulling this over. Any antique/silverware experts here?

Thank you google ....
"A. Dear Sarah, pure silver is soft like lead, and as such, not suitable for charms, cups, chains or much else,because it bends, breaks and stretches too much. For this reason, manufacturing jewelers and silversmiths mix copper with it to give it some strength. A side effect of this is the tarnishing that goes with the inclusion of copper. Answer. Assemble your bracelet then take it all to a silver electroplater and have it all plated in pure silver. I did this with my wife's charms, and they look great. Tend to stay that way too!"

So silver doesn't tarnish! It's the copper. That makes sense, some of the silver spoons have green on them.

That means ... if it is silver, and it's tarnished then it's actually silver/copper alloy and not plate. Wow. I'm a little scared now. This stuff must be more valuable than I realised. Going to keep the curtains closed.

Thank you google ....
"A. Dear Sarah, pure silver is soft like lead, and as such, not suitable for charms, cups, chains or much else,because it bends, breaks and stretches too much. For this reason, manufacturing jewelers and silversmiths mix copper with it to give it some strength. A side effect of this is the tarnishing that goes with the inclusion of copper. Answer. Assemble your bracelet then take it all to a silver electroplater and have it all plated in pure silver. I did this with my wife's charms, and they look great. Tend to stay that way too!"

So silver doesn't tarnish! It's the copper. That makes sense, some of the silver spoons have green on them.

That means ... if it is silver, and it's tarnished then it's actually silver/copper alloy and not plate. Wow. I'm a little scared now. This stuff must be more valuable than I realised. Going to keep the curtains closed.
Uncle google mislead you here. Pure silver does indeed tarnish. It doesn't react with air but with pollutants in the air, notably sulfur, to form the black silver sulfide that's so difficult to remove. Plating over it simply delays the process. Anyone who owns plated silver items will know that they tarnish.

Top Bottom