Saturday, 11th May. Conder Green from Todmorden (100 miles) or Whalley (100 km)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
POSTPONED FROM EARLY APRIL!

My forum ride from Garforth on Saturday was a success so I am keen to get on with organising the next outing, This is my annual ride from Todmorden/Spring Wood to Conder Green near Glasson Dock, and back.

The ride will now take place on Saturday, 11th May.

This is a 161 km/100 mile ride, but riders preferring a shorter distance can start and finish at Spring Wood picnic site which is situated where Accrington Rd meets the A671 above Whalley. That option cuts the distance down to 107 km and avoids most of the busy roads. It is only £1 for all-day parking, but if you are really tight, you could park on Accrington Rd for nothing and cycle up to Spring Wood! :okay:

I will be riding from Todmorden with @Littgull and any other imperial century riders. There is a free car park at Dalton Street, across the side street next to Todmorden Bus station. We will start from there at 08:30.

We will call in at Spring Wood by 10:00 to meet up with anyone doing the shorter route and drop them off there again 107 km later.

107 km route (ridden anticlockwise)

Conder Green route 2019.png

107 km route profile

Conder Green profile 2019.png

This 107 km loop will be a slightly different route to other years. There is one long drag up to Cow Ark and then 2 fairly hard climbs (the Trough of Bowland and Abbeystead Fell) on the ride from Spring Wood, followed by a lovely long run down from Jubilee Tower on the Fell towards Conder Green. Conder Green is 50 km from Spring Wood, or 77 km from Todmorden. As usual, we will go to Cafe d'Lune there.

We will come back by our usual route to Longridge but for a change we will go over part of Longridge Fell, before descending to Ribchester Bridge, after Ribchester. After that, our usual route back via Old Langho and Billington to Whalley.

The ride back is much easier than the outward leg. We have to do a moderate climb through Longridge onto the Fell and then a short climb at Salesbury Hall towards Old Langho, with one final drag back up to Spring Wood from Whalley.

I hope that we can get back to Spring Wood by about 18:00. If we do leave Spring Wood at 10:00 and have an hour of stops altogether, that would be 7 hours of riding - requiring roughly 15 km/hr or 9.5 mph average speed while riding. That means that even the longer distance riders should get back in daylight.

Route and profile from Tod to Spring Wood (reverse for evening ride back)

Tod to Spring wood route and profile.gif

I would describe this route as 'moderately challenging'. It isn't suitable for beginners, but you wouldn't have to be superfit either. If you have previously ridden 80 km/50 miles with 2 or 3 significant hills and felt okay then the 107 km loop should be suitable for you. If you have ridden 120 km/75 miles and 3 or 4 significant hills then you should be able to do the longer route.

GPX files attached below.

Previous ride threads to whet your appetite - 2017, 2018.

Attachments

• Spring Wood Conder Green 2019 107 kms.gpx
    24.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Tod to Spring Wood Whalley 27 km.gpx
    6.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Domus

Guru
I shall express an interest in the shorter distance. Mrs Domus will drop me off at Spring Wood then spend the day shopping in Clitheroe. :eek:
Last training ride before my trip to Mallorca on Monday the 8th.:hyper:

Domus

Guru
She will spend an obscene amount of time in charity shops looking for books and toys for our grand children. She picks up amazing bargains. Full sets of Roald Dahl books, Thomas the Tank Engine videos, board games, card games, jigsaws etc for just a few pounds. They watch, read and devour them then she re cycles them to other charity shops and starts again. Their house, our house and our caravan are constantly being re stocked. They get to use the stuff, charities get some income and then stuff is donated back.

Didn't realise Clitheroe's charity shops were so good domus.

If she is a fan of such things (and why not?) I can recommend the ones in Lytham - particularly if female.

(apologies to Colin for brief divert :smile: )

have a great ride all.

will join one in the future sometime.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have added more details to the original post. I will add maps, elevation profiles and GPX files in the next couple of days.

Express your interest below if you'd like to join us ...

nickAKA

Über Member
I'd be up for that but it's my daughter's 7th birthday (party) - balls...

Any other dates planned in that particular neck of the woods I'm definitely interested, supposed to be doing a big group ride over there late summer so would like to get a bit more familiar with the roads just so I know what to expect!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd be up for that but it's my daughter's 7th birthday (party) - balls...

Any other dates planned in that particular neck of the woods I'm definitely interested, supposed to be doing a big group ride over there late summer so would like to get a bit more familiar with the roads just so I know what to expect!
I organise several rides a year over there. No dates set yet, but keep your eyes open - there should be at least 2 or 3 more over the spring, summer and autumn.

PS And if the weather is awful, there could be a postponement. I'll ride in disappointing conditions but I am not a total masochist! :okay:

nickAKA

Über Member
I organise several rides a year over there. No dates set yet, but keep your eyes open - there should be at least 2 or 3 more over the spring, summer and autumn.

PS And if the weather is awful, there could be a postponement. I'll ride in disappointing conditions but I am not a total masochist! :okay:

Amen to that... A bit of rain I can cope with but I draw the line at 30mph headwinds...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have booked acceptable weather conditions for the ride, so those of you who have been hesitating to sign up for the ride need wait no longer!

Nobody has ever said that they wished they hadn't done this ride, but many have regretted missing it ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Domus has posted elsewhere that he is still hoping to join us but is recovering from surgery and a bad cold so he may only manage part of the route from Spring Wood.

Hopefully, a few more people will sign up before the ride. My pals Carrie and Kevin usually come along but they are both probably busy on Saturday.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As readers of this board will know I am otherwise engaged on Saturday.

Which is a pity, because this is a very agreeable ride.

Hilly enough for me to moan a bit, but not so ridiculously up and down to make me want to sling the bike over a hedge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As readers of this board will know I am otherwise engaged on Saturday.

Which is a pity, because this is a very agreeable ride.

Hilly enough for me to moan a bit, but not so ridiculously up and down to make me want to sling the bike over a hedge.
Yes, and if you can't make it to NWish-England then try to make it up to NEish-England for PR's ride instead!

Top Bottom