Saturday supermarket shopping..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
You spent 2 hours in Ikea?

I'm fortunate in that the nearest one is in Leeds, I think?Hence I have never been and don't intend to start going despite Mrs Pm pleas, and she won't go herself as motorway driving terrifies her. She'd just come back with yet more cushions.

Ah! Now then, I thought I would be in and out in a flash the first time I went ... but it is a seductive place and I've been back twice since my first visit! Plus, they have a Swedish supermarket where you can buy lots of incredibly nice Swedish food, including smoked reindeer and gravadlax! The cheese is gorgeous and they do umpteen different kinds of preserved fish. Then there's all the different kinds of Swedish dessert in the freezer ... I can see myself popping back regularly just to do some food shopping! :tongue:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If it weren't for all the folk clogging up the supermarkets and retail parks of a weekend imagine how busy the great outdoors would be. Maybe.

Yes - it's great having most of the riff raff penned up in Tesco/ASDA etc. As long as I don't have to do it!

Solution: Become a lark like me - I went to Ikea at 8:50 this morning, just as they opened - and the car park was virtually empty! When I came out at 11am it was like a lunatic asylum!
Ah! Now then, I thought I would be in and out in a flash the first time I went ... but it is a seductive place and I've been back twice since my first visit! Plus, they have a Swedish supermarket where you can buy lots of incredibly nice Swedish food, including smoked reindeer and gravadlax!mg]
You're having us on! I'll bet you got lost trying to follow the Yellow Brick Road, and ended up in the kiddies' play pit having a romp in a sea of plastic balls...

Actually I cannot tell a lie! I don't have much of a problem with our Tescos. At least they have decent cycle parking (this is not true of other Tescos) and are the 'right' distance from home: two miles, as much as we want to do in rain with heavy panniers. And they have quite a lot of reasonable stuff especially on the organics and deli shelves. And the check-out girls are rather nice (for some reason we always seem to end up on a queue with a pimply-faced youth, instead. Is this Mrs P's doing, I wonder? :blush:).

What does irk me is the number of times Tescos are out-of-stock of something really essential, like, for instance, wholemeal flour or tomato puree. And the items they choose to discontinue altogether, I suppose because they're not economically viable - or so it seems, not viable at some branches but viable at other branches. Why? This is the reply I got when I complained about the discontinuing of two items we buy often: brown rice and dry red kidney beans (we now get those from Waitrose):

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your email detailing the information you had.

After researching on my system it seems that yes these products have been discontinued from that store.

However, this product is still on the Tesco product list which means you can still buy this product in other stores as it hasn't been discontinued.

Please let me assure you that we try very hard to stock as many products as we can and most of our stores carry over 20,000 lines. However, space is limited and from time to time, to make room for new product ranges, we have to stop selling some of our less popular lines. Although this can be disappointing, it's an ever-changing market and we don't want our customers to miss out on new and exciting products.

However, you should be able to ask for a 'Local Choice Form' at the Customer Service Desk. This form allows our Store Manager and Stock Control department to see what items our customers are requesting.

When we receive five of these Local choice forms for the same product within the same store we aim to get this product back on the shelf within the store as soon as possible to meet our Customer demand.

I do hope that, despite the problems you’ve faced, you'll continue to shop with us, giving us the chance to provide the excellent service you've come to expect and so rightly deserve to receive.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me at ech@tesco.co.uk quoting TES8113230X.

Kind Regards

Simon Murphy
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service
I must admit I couldn't be a***ed to follow it up. Waitrose will do for us.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The last time I was in a large supermarket at the weekend would have been 2004. I know I have a good memory, but even so, the occasion was so terrible that I could not contemplate doing it again.

Now I do most of the bulky household things on-line. Buying fresh meat and vegetables etc at the local shops. Bread and cakes are bought at a Baker's, milk is delivered three times a week in glass bottles. Two excellent Delicatessens provide the lovely cheeses, and sauces and condiments etc. The greengrocer also stocks a large selection of lovely biscuits, and jams and pickles etc, as well as cakes and puddings. Admittedly I need to drive in order to carry the food home, but shopping in small shops is much easier, from my point of view.

There is a large Asda in town for, in my case, extreme emergencies only, and a Tesco express for newspapers, magazines, and chocolatey items, or wine as there is no Off-licence here anymore.

Cat food, in the form of dry biscuits, is ordered from the local shops, and they deliver.

postman

Legendary Member

I'm fortunate in that the nearest one is in Leeds, I think?Hence I have never been and don't intend to start going despite Mrs Pm pleas, and she won't go herself as motorway driving terrifies her. She'd just come back with yet more cushions.

It's not in Leeds .It's in Birstall Batley Wf 17 .I am fed up of pointing this out .Not Leeds .Batley Batley Batley Batley filthy crummy crappy Batley .

postman

Legendary Member
Just a bit of fun there .

It is actually in Birstall ,Batley .

But some Estate agent will have put a few quid on the land price and said it's in Leeds .

But their post goes to Batley .

TVC

I have friends in Batley, and they say at least it's better than Meanwood.
thumbsup.png

ref the OP, I always try to shop on a midweek evening, you get the supermarket to yourself. Also a note to any single gentlemen around here, many single ladies shop in the evening and it makes for a great place to pick up, with the added bonus of seeing what is in their shopping basket.

Rice cakes and fat free flavourless gloop = keep walking
Vodka and cream cakes = don't make eye contact.
A nice Rioca and some quality steak = hello!

Arch

Married to Night Train
What does irk me is the number of times Tescos are out-of-stock of something really essential, like, for instance, wholemeal flour or tomato puree.

This made me smile - I can't remember the last time I bought any wholemeal flour. Funny our various definitions of 'essential'.

Last week we discovered in a recycling box, that Waitrose do an 'Essential' tin of coconut cream.

Mind you, I found today that Sainsburys do a tub of 'Basics' Olives. Way more expensive than buying a big jar of Crespo ones in brine like I do, last me a month or more, and that's with putting half a dozen in my pasta sauce about 4 times a week.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I have friends in Batley, and they say at least it's better than Meanwood.
thumbsup.png

ref the OP, I always try to shop on a midweek evening, you get the supermarket to yourself. Also a note to any single gentlemen around here, many single ladies shop in the evening and it makes for a great place to pick up, with the added bonus of seeing what is in their shopping basket.

Rice cakes and fat free flavourless gloop = keep walking
Vodka and cream cakes = don't make eye contact.
A nice Rioca and some quality steak = hello!

I can see it now.:biggrin: .[terry thomas accent]...oh helllo..[/terry thomas accent]

TBF...ive shopped on Wednesdays evenings for years now. You beat the people who get paid on Thursdays/Fridays and dont waste an ounce of the weekend in a supermarket. Thats what makes a trip at the weekend even more mindblowingly mindnumbing. :biggrin:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Tesco AKA the Satan of retailing (as suggested by Dell)
Have a read of Tescopoly, How One Shop Came Out on Top and Why It Matters by Andrew Simms

Top Bottom