Saunas/Steam Rooms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I've never been for years to either and only ever visited after I had been swimming for a sit and a chat with others.

Do they actually have any benefit? Or are they germ infested pits of doom?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think it depends on the company therein, and also the country, but not exclusively. I last went to both sauna/steam rooms in Austria, on a skiing trip, five years ago. Sweaty, sweaty, sweaty, and then a cold swim. I came out feeling blooming marvelous, and so happy that I ate and drank the benefit away later in the evening. I wouldn't worry at all about picking up bugs. Do it!

ASC1951

Guru
The sauna in itself has no physiological benefit at all. But many people find them enjoyable, particularly after exercise, so if you are one of them, carry on.

Pottsy

ASC1951 said:
The sauna in itself has no physiological benefit at all. But many people find them enjoyable, particularly after exercise, so if you are one of them, carry on.

I agree with this. I'm not aware of any physiological benefit, but that tingling, clean and refreshed feeling after sweating a lot and then swimming or plunge-pooling (or rolling in the snow :smile:) certainly makes you feel good.

montage

God Almighty
This to do with Lance Armstrong's latest "training" in a sauna? :tongue: .... I think he is trying to get his body used to the heat or something

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I might be totally wrong on this but I think I heard a question mark over steam rooms and that they had been linked to increased risk of lung infections.
Love a good sauna followed by a swim though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Apparently good if you have a cold.

Can't stand them myself..have real difficulty breathing.....

Too hot for me............

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Or are they germ infested pits of doom?

The steamroom at the gym felt like one. Oddly lit, it seemed skanky and smelt of feet.

The sauna was great.

Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom