Saving the planet, for yourself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm really keen to know what they wanted it for.

Building, patios, etc. The rate at which it is being half inches was getting excessive, vastly outstripping the rate at which nature was replacing it. The Sardinian authorities tried the softly softly approach but people took the wee wee, so they've had no choice but to crack down severely. It's been massively publicised - it was on the news here a few months ago - so they've got no excuse.

They took a chance and got caught, so I've no sympathy with them paying for the crime. If they think saving 50 quid on buying sand from a legitimate source is worth the risk of a few years in the chokey then that's their problem.

classic33

Leg End Member
Building, patios, etc. The rate at which it is being half inches was getting excessive, vastly outstripping the rate at which nature was replacing it. The Sardinian authorities tried the softly softly approach but people took the wee wee, so they've had no choice but to crack down severely. It's been massively publicised - it was on the news here a few months ago - so they've got no excuse.

They took a chance and got caught, so I've no sympathy with them paying for the crime. If they think saving 50 quid on buying sand from a legitimate source is worth the risk of a few years in the chokey then that's their problem.
Why were they taking it away in bottles?

midlife

Guru
I'm really keen to know what they wanted it for.

Flogging on ebay most likely....

snorri

Legendary Member
I bought home a piece of lava from the volcano in Hawaii last year, a piece from when it erupted in 1973, not when it erupted last year.
I have a few trophies from Highland hill tops but never labelled them so have no idea from which hill they came.
CarlP reminds me of the piece of hot lava I picked up in Iceland, but it had cooled long before I got home:sad:.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
On it's own it might not be noticeable, but there has to be a deterrent. Otherwise you'd eventually get people nicking all sorts from moors and beaches and selling it, or using it for building and landscaping. 6 years in jail is too much though, I would have thought £2k fine would have sufficed.

Top Bottom