Saving weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
domtyler said:
Is this a regular event Joe? If so I propose a little experiment. Do the one tonight with all your weight saving measures and then repeat without. I'd be interested to know how much or how little they all make.

Will be every Tuesday. Been going on for a while, but could never be arsed to go down and do one. Should be doing one next week so i'll leave the stuff on next week. But the conditions will be different next week. Will still give it a go next week though with everything back on the bike.
I think filling the tyres up with helium might be good. Maybe putting helium in the frame.
I'll cut the seat post down some more aswell, it cant need much in there, just enough to go into the clamp i reckon;)
:blush:

Joe24 said:
Will be every Tuesday. Been going on for a while, but could never be arsed to go down and do one. Should be doing one next week so i'll leave the stuff on next week. But the conditions will be different next week. Will still give it a go next week though with everything back on the bike.
I think filling the tyres up with helium might be good. Maybe putting helium in the frame.
I'll cut the seat post down some more aswell, it cant need much in there, just enough to go into the clamp i reckon;)
:blush:

You could also breath in helium just before you start and hold your breath for the whole race. I am sure that would improve your performance...:ohmy:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Yeeeeh:biggrin:
10.29miles in 27.37. Not bad, a tad windy, and hillier then what i thought. Alot of expensive bikes there:eek: I tried the elbows on the bars but that didnt work too well, so it was hands on the drops, elbows and knees in, try to keep spinning.
Came 15th overall, out of 19, so wasnt bad to say my bike was probably the only one with no carbon on ;) Top guy got 22:40. So only 4min 3 seconds(i think:wacko:) behind the top guy, which i dont think is too bad.;)

OP
OP
J

Joe24

What, weight loss is weight loss :laugh: And if we cant get any more off the bike, its got to be the person. Anyway, it might be a good off putter as the peloton catches up, they can cover them in crap;)

Cheers :laugh:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I think i need to. And put some foam on the back wheel and card to make a disc wheel.
Cut some drops down to make more TT style bars, and use the drop bit cut off as the aero add-ons. Would have to heat them up and bend them more flatter though.
Ahh, i can just imagine it now:biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Get your favourite person to smear you all over with fragranced body oil. It won't improve your time but you will both sure enjoy it!!!!:laugh:

Razor

My advice to you is to put all your effort into your fitness and cycling technique .i remember as a teenager doing all kinds of crazy things to make my bike lighter ,drilling holes ,taking bits off increasing tyre pressure to the brink of explosion etc.I reeped the gains if any .its mostly down to the rider but dont get dissheartened if your times dont come down dramatically quickly .fitness takes time so just enjoy your racing and listen to your coach.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Razor said:
My advice to you is to put all your effort into your fitness and cycling technique .i remember as a teenager doing all kinds of crazy things to make my bike lighter ,drilling holes ,taking bits off increasing tyre pressure to the brink of explosion etc.I reeped the gains if any .its mostly down to the rider but dont get dissheartened if your times dont come down dramatically quickly .fitness takes time so just enjoy your racing and listen to your coach.

My coach is amazing, hes in my head:becool:
I've thought about doing the course again before next Tuesday. Wood those clip on bars do much? Its a pretty straight course, so you can spend long times down on them, but its hilly. Make a good amount of difference or a waste of money? All the other bikes(i think) had them on, not just the proper TT bikes.

Razor

I think your concerns about your bike making a massive diiference could easily be put to one side by persuading a fellow club mate to swap bikes for a race .It may be difficult as most people dont like riding other peoples bikes but just for a race i dont think it would hurt anyone and if your club leader made it a special race where everyone did it ,it could be very interesting .You'll be talking about it for weeks and it would save you a lot of time and money when you realize the bike at this level of racing makes only a few seconds difference and not the minutes you might be hoping for.

Top Bottom