Saving weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Doing my first evening 10 TT tonight. I thought i would take this seriouse(:wacko:) and save some weight on the bike.
Image140.jpg

Image142.jpg

I took off:
Bottle cages
Saddle bag
Pump
Pump Mount
Pump strap
Phone holder
Bottle cage bolts
Valve caps.
I thought my cables werent aerodynamic enough so i fixed that.
Image143.jpg

The bike now looks like this:biggrin:
Image144.jpg

I saved about 725g:biggrin: But i did put back on a bottle cage because on the ride down there i will need to drink. This has added on about 70g. I have put the valve caps back on(are they really needed, what about the screw on limiter things?) and the saddle bag is staying on for the ride down, coming off when i do the TT. Although i should take that off and the mount and save even more. Think of the weight i could save:biggrin: Bar end plug i decided to leave it to help reduce any drag.
So how much of an advantage do you think this will give me :wacko: What else can i take off, back brake? That surely cant be really needed;)

take the saddle off!

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Nick1979 said:
Why don't you put your bottle in your jersey pocket for the ride to the event?? Get rid of that bottle cage!!

Thats a bloody good idea. I might do that.
Alecstilleyedye, already got that planned;)
I thought about takin gthe saddle off and putting a very thin bar of metal in the clamp to sit on instead:laugh:

Max up the tyre pressure perhaps? Carry a 'disposable' bottle for water, and paper money for afters:smile: Get a number 1 to help air flow? Do a number 2 as previously advised :wacko: Go naked apart from ultra tight pants and a helmet?

Good luck;)

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I'll have a pee just before i ride aswell.
Theres a side wind today, so i cant make my own disc wheel using cardboard either:sad:
:wacko:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Aperitif said:
Max up the tyre pressure perhaps? Carry a 'disposable' bottle for water, and paper money for afters:smile: Get a number 1 to help air flow? Do a number 2 as previously advised :wacko: Go naked apart from ultra tight pants and a helmet?

Good luck;)

Tyres pump up to 120psi front and back.
Disposable bottle of water? Hmmm:wacko:
All this weight i have taken off, will probably make no difference as the steel fork will probably out-weigh it all anyway.

Weight isn't a major factor unless it's a hilly course. You should be more concerned about aerodynamic drag. At twenty mph 80% of your effort is being used to overcome wind resistance. About a third of the total drag is caused by your bike with the remaining two thirds caused by your body moving through the air. Getting up to speed, ie accelerating to your cruising speed, weight is an issue but once you are up to speed it's important to minimise your drag coefficient. Your Cd is a combination of shape and frontal area, there's not much you can do about shape being a human and not some kind of shape shifting space alien but you can optimise your shape and minimalise your frontal area as it presents to the wind; keep your knees in, get right down into the drops, keep your elbows in. You might want to consider dropping your bars as far as you can by flipping the stem and removing any washers from underneath it, but only so low that it doesn't affect your ability to pedal efficiently, maybe move your saddle forward a few mm if it helps your reach. Wear the tightest lycra you've got and make sure that your number is pinned on well and not flapping about.

Chris James

Über Member
Of course if it is a flattish course and / or if there is a headwind you would be better with a heavier bike to maintain momentum.

In that event you could put your bottle cages back on again and fill some bottles with wet sand. Or put blakeys on your road shoes?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

The course is hilly:sad: So this weight taking off is very important you see;)
Did think about moving the saddle forward slightly. Bars already as low as they can go without getting a stem with a more downward angle.
I even have my special position of elbows on the bars, hands flat to stop the drag even more. I think i should put 2 cup mounts on with abit of padding to make it even more aerodynamic:becool: Bottle cage might well be taken off, and i'll leave the bottle with one of the timers.
Thanks for the techinical advice Mickle.:wacko:
Will a heavier bike be good on a hilly course because on the downhills it will go faster?:wacko: Should i took my jersey into my bib shorts?

Top Bottom