Saw a dodgy bike trade taking place.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Was sat outside my daughters student halls of residence and saw a chap get off his bike and speak to the driver of a car parked up.
Driver was checking the bike over and asking the "owner" some questions about it. Owner was a young kid with a small shoulder bag.
Driver asked, how will you get around ? "Owner replied "don't need it anymore"
Cash exchanged, bike loaded into car, deal done.
This is all a few feet from a Police Station btw

I could have said something, I wanted to ask the bike "owner", whats in the bag ? Nice cable cutter I imagine.

The whole thing just stank of stolen goods, but I am not the police.

What would you have done?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Not sure, possibly take a few discreet photos including the bike and the car reg, then keep an eye on local stolen bike pages.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Intervene if you're in public, photos if unsure; whilst the bike seller is may not be traceable without a clear photo a car registration usually is.

It could be genuine, particularly with students who've over-spent at this time of year. But ...

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
That's very brave of you indeed

He looked a fairly harmless chap & it was a very public place.

Jody

Stubborn git

Situation that arose recently with a local kid and Facebook detectives.

Spotted often riding a £5k+ E-MTB in his grey Adidas trakkie with matching cap and man bag. Very suspicious as it didn't have a battery on it. Lots of people taking pictures of him when spotted, plastering it all over the site, trying to track the owner and whether they should tell the Police.

Turns out he won it in a competition and it was rightfully his.

Not everything is as it looks.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Was sat outside my daughters student halls of residence and saw a chap get off his bike and speak to the driver of a car parked up.
Driver was checking the bike over and asking the "owner" some questions about it. Owner was a young kid with a small shoulder bag.
Driver asked, how will you get around ? "Owner replied "don't need it anymore"
Cash exchanged, bike loaded into car, deal done.
This is all a few feet from a Police Station btw

I could have said something, I wanted to ask the bike "owner", whats in the bag ? Nice cable cutter I imagine.

I probably would have done exactly what you did.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Strange isn't it, or maybe not, that people will buy goods like this and in all probability know or suspect it's stolen but have no qualms about doing the transaction. The society we live in today I guess. Very sad.

Regards the incident walk up take a photo making a show of it. Their reaction will tell you what you want to know.

Top Bottom