Saw bike as mine stolen online today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lenkasobie

hi there

So I saw a bike online today for sale but I cannot be 100% sure is mine.
It's the same model and colour but I would really need to know the frame number to be certain, especially as the picture was from website, not the actual bike.
Any advice what kind of questions I might ask which may not raise the suspicion and help me with me problem? I know frame number is located on the frame bottom, near the pedals..that's what they told me in the shop.
So far I only asked for more pictures and I have been told they will be sent to me.
Any advice??

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It is a tricky one.

Are there any unique changes you have made to the bike that will give you confidence that it is definitely yours even without seeing the frame number? These might be things you have swapped after buying the bike, maybe a different saddle or handlebar stem, any stickers you have added or mudguards? Anything that changes the bike from the standard specification will help identify the bike, especially if you have receipts for those items.
Unfortunately the police are notoriously poor at taking action to recover stolen bikes, but it does happen so don't give up.

What make, model and year of bike did you have? What was the price when new and what is it being sold for?

Drago

Legendary Member
At best the police will take zero action unless you can positively identify it from the pics.

Your only two courses of action are;

Do nothing.

You or a friend go and view it, and if its yours either steal it back somehow or withdraw outside and them call the police.

If you choose the latter, make some comment about checking the frame for cracks to examine it closely, or just brazen it and say you want the frame number so you can check it on the property registration websites.

Good luck.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
As per Skols advice - if you can remember anything that is unique to your bike, even if its a scratch - that would help.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

It is a tricky one.

Are there any unique changes you have made to the bike that will give you confidence that it is definitely yours even without seeing the frame number? These might be things you have swapped after buying the bike, maybe a different saddle or handlebar stem, any stickers you have added or mudguards? Anything that changes the bike from the standard specification will help identify the bike, especially if you have receipts for those items.
Unfortunately the police are notoriously poor at taking action to recover stolen bikes, but it does happen so don't give up.

What make, model and year of bike did you have? What was the price when new and what is it being sold for?

The only thing I did was mudguard on the back wheel and bottle holder..unfortunately I was happy with my bike the way it was for my daily, city commute!
It's Pinnacle Neon 3 from 2016 ..the original price was over £500 and now the bike is advertised for £500.
I don't understand how they are not able to go around that place and just ask about that themselves?! Don't they do investigations? I thought that's what their job is not mine?! They strongly not advise interacting with potential thief but doing nothing, leaving us no choice!

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

At best the police will take zero action unless you can positively identify it from the pics.

Your only two courses of action are;

Do nothing.

You or a friend go and view it, and if its yours either steal it back somehow or withdraw outside and them call the police.

If you choose the latter, make some comment about checking the frame for cracks to examine it closely, or just brazen it and say you want the frame number so you can check it on the property registration websites.

Good luck.

"check it on the property registration websites" as if it was stolen? Or for anything else?

Drago

Legendary Member
Its a question of a) resources, and b) legislation. They neither have the staff, or the powers to randomnly knock on peoples doors without reasonable suspicion.

If you are able to reasonably identify it as yours from the photo, then it can be justified. Until that time its simply a bloke selling a Pinnacle Akrose 3, which is neither suspicious in itself, or unlawful.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The only thing I did was mudguard on the back wheel and bottle holder..unfortunately I was happy with my bike the way it was for my daily, city commute!
It's Pinnacle Neon 3 from 2016 ..the original price was over £500 and now the bike is advertised for £500.
I don't understand how they are not able to go around that place and just ask about that themselves?! Don't they do investigations? I thought that's what their job is not mine?! They strongly not advise interacting with potential thief but doing nothing, leaving us no choice!

The mudguard and bottle cage are good clues.

Can you ask about the bike perhaps with - does the bike come with any accessories ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Does the bike in question sport then same rear mudguard and bottle cage that theirs did? They don't state that it does.

If it does, then it has unique(ish) identifying features andnits a go-er. If it doesn't its back to a bloke simply selling a bike scenario.

@lenkasobie What makes you believe the bike in the ad is your actual machine?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What was the price when new and what is it being sold for?
the original price was over £500 and now the bike is advertised for £500.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant what was the price new and how much is the 'thief' selling it for?
If it is unreasonably cheap then that will further add to the suspicion that it may be stolen because anyone selling a bike they have paid for themselves is likely to be less reluctant to sell cheaply.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Its a question of a) resources, and b) legislation. They neither have the staff, or the powers to randomnly knock on peoples doors without reasonable suspicion.

If you are able to reasonably identify it as yours from the photo, then it can be justified. Until that time its simply a bloke selling a Pinnacle Akrose 3, which is neither suspicious in itself, or unlawful.

I don't think they would break the law if they went around and asked politely saying..we had reported bike like this stolen, could you please confirm frame number. It would take them 10 minutes.
Any ideas what else I can ask them for which is located on the bottom of the bike? Pedals? Chain? what problems could be with that so I can have an excuse to ask for a photo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom