Saw bike as mine stolen online today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Is it the Gumtree ads you are referring to ?

There is gumtree and Facebook marketplace ad.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/nearly-new-pinnacle-3-neon-hybrid-womens-bicycle/1283468550

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant what was the price new and how much is the 'thief' selling it for?
If it is unreasonably cheap then that will further add to the suspicion that it may be stolen because anyone selling a bike they have paid for themselves is likely to be less reluctant to sell cheaply.

No, I got you.
I bought it for over £500 and now is advertised for £500. So it's similar. That was in 2016 though, I didn't ask which year hers was from.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That doesn't folow either. I bought Mrs D's Giant WTB for £150 from a lass at work. Shed paid £450 the previous year, and the RRP was still nearly £500 at the time I bought.

The OP needs an identifying feature or mark. Anything else is interesting, but speculative only.
Yes, but someone wanting to sell a £2k carbon roadbike for £150 and will 'helpfully' meet you at a nearby train station for a viewing and the transaction to take place is going to raise concerns regarding the provenance of the bike

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

That doesn't folow either. I bought Mrs D's Giant WTB for £150 from a lass at work. Shed paid £450 the previous year, and the RRP was still nearly £500 at the time I bought.

The OP needs an identifying feature or mark. Anything else is interesting, but speculative only.

That's why I am here. I don't know what to ask about which would require taking photo from the bottom of the bike (where the frame number is) without making her suspicious.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

And what features or marks on the bike for sale identify it as yours?

Nothing yet! It's just the same model, colour and size.
I didn't see any real life photos yet, she was about to send it last night and she didn't.
I am trying to think ahead what to ask for in case photos she will send give me no further indication!

ohhh, I almost forgot..the bike was stolen without the front wheel so that could be a clue as well!

I am just panicking that ad will be taken down anytime and the game over!

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

The mudguard and bottle cage are good clues.

Can you ask about the bike perhaps with - does the bike come with any accessories ?

Ok, I will ask something like that, thanks. :smile:
I really any help I can get right now.

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

Does the bike in question sport then same rear mudguard and bottle cage that theirs did? They don't state that it does.

If it does, then it has unique(ish) identifying features andnits a go-er. If it doesn't its back to a bloke simply selling a bike scenario.

@lenkasobie What makes you believe the bike in the ad is your actual machine?

Those things as mudguard and bottle cage are quite easy to remove, aren't they?
Its the same make, model, colour and size which popped out not even a week after I lost my bike. I cannot see the same bike posted at any time anywhere.

it must be a horrible situation to be in, but, lets be honest someone is selling a bike , same make colour and size,(is it advertised in the same area yours was stolen from) I can see why the police would not get involved, I can also see that you are right to wonder, is it yours but until your sure , your stuck , you really need the photos or ask to view it , NOT ALONE OBVIOUSLY, do you have anyone to go along with you if you had chance to view it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Am I missing something here? The bike was sold new for £500 (£465 on the last Evans cycles advert before they sold out) and a used one is now being advertised on Gumtree for ..... £500?

That is odd, but unless this bike has a different front wheel (the chances of getting an exact matching replacement wheel and tyre are slim) then I think you can confidently assume this is not your bike. Seeing actual pictures of the bike for sale should quickly clear this up beyond doubt.

Jody

Stubborn git
No, I got you.
I bought it for over £500 and now is advertised for £500. So it's similar. That was in 2016 though, I didn't ask which year hers was from.

Text her and say you are interested. Then ask for a picture of the actual bike as she is quite a drive away from where you live. If its the advert I have just seen then it should be pretty straight forward as they state the bike has only been used twice. If its got odd wheels on then its yours.

Be careful of what and how you ask, because if it is your bike and they are shady they will soon cotton on to what you are doing.

Edit. Beat me to it @I like Skol

OP
OP
lenkasobie

lenkasobie

it must be a horrible situation to be in, but, lets be honest someone is selling a bike , same make colour and size,(is it advertised in the same area yours was stolen from) I can see why the police would not get involved, I can also see that you are right to wonder, is it yours but until your sure , your stuck , you really need the photos or ask to view it , NOT ALONE OBVIOUSLY, do you have anyone to go along with you if you had chance to view it.

I would need to look for volunteers to go with but the police telling me I can get stabbed has put me off the idea a little.
My main question is I suppose what kind of picture I could ask for which would help me identify the frame number without asking directly for the frame number.
Is there anything located on the bottom of the frame near the pedals which I could be concerned about and wanted to check? I know nothing about the bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom